Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC for low power current gain 3.3V 50ma

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcream

I have a pulse that is approx 5ma at 3.3V
This needs to drive a device that needs 50-100ma at 3.3V
I can supply 3.3V or 5A for operational voltage.

any idea what IC I could use for this ?

I know I can build a current gain circuit from a npn transistor, but I am hoping that a low power current amp is available as a standalone IC.

EDIT: Just got pointers to use a MOSFET for gain.

My requirements are very similar to this thread.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/4013-to-drive-300ma-problem-after-q-output.97641/

Boncuk suggested this
V(BR)DSS=30V, RDS(ON)=0.08Ω, ID=3.5A, VGS(th)=0.7V, package SOT23

ZETEX ZXMN3B14F.

Last edited:
I have a pulse that is approx 5ma at 3.3V
This needs to drive a device that needs 50-100ma at 3.3V
I can supply 3.3V or 5A for operational voltage.

any idea what IC I could use for this ?

I know I can build a current gain circuit from a npn transistor, but I am hoping that a low power current amp is available as a standalone IC.

I don't quite see why you would want to use an IC, when a single transistor (either bipolar with two resistors or an FET) would do the job?.

Hi Nigel. My impressions from trawling around is that the 1-2ma current will have a problem driving a FET.
Also, I can only supply a bias voltage of 3.3V, which may be too low for FETs.

Is that an incorrect assumption ?

EDIT :- Just realized there are logic-level MOSFETs. Would you advise on the suitability of a BJT or MOSFET for driving 100ma approx. ?
I also realized that a MOSFET does not need a bias resistor at these low currents.

Perhaps thats the way to go..

Last edited:
Hi Nigel. My impressions from trawling around is that the 1-2ma current will have a problem driving a FET.
Also, I can only supply a bias voltage of 3.3V, which may be too low for FETs.

Is that an incorrect assumption ?

I rarely use FET's, but it depends on the type you use - personally I'd just use a bipolar transistor, and either one or two ressitors (depending how low the 3.3V goes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back