Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IC decoupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Hi All
Great to be here
Please be gentle with me I am not as young as I pretend to be !

I have a question (having been out of electronics for nearly 15 years.)

I am building a little circuit that basically is cascade of CMOS bcd counters and drivers for 7 seg leds....(before everyone yells "USE A PIC" ...I don't want to :p ) the input will be from a hand controlled switch so VERY slow.
So decouple the ic's or not?
I intend to have a well smoothed power supply etc..

If I do decouple, for the ultra low count, I would not even begin to guess a value any ideas?

John

Yes, decouple. 0.1µF monolithic or ceramic is sort of standard. The counting may be slow, but the switching of hi/lo states isn't.

Ken

You might also want to put a 10uF tantalum (or ceramic) close to the LED driver supply voltage. If all your LEDs switch on at once, it could cause some bounce on the LED supply voltage. A 10uF will provide a low impedance path for the initial surge of current. Was that gentle enough?

Beautifully gentle

Thanks guys for all your input.
Somehow I gotta find some room for the caps *S*....I must admit I was expecting to decouple just hopeful I wouldn't !

Hopefully I will be able to offer input to the group not just getting stuff out !

thanks again.....

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back