Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IBM Airgap Microprocessor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra

IBM Airgap Microprocessor

Scroll down the page of this link to see the short article. Then scroll further down to see the IBM Airgap Microprocessor animation.
IBM Press room - Using Self Assembly to Create Airgap Microprocessors - United States

It is quite amazing how such technology and its creation goes unnoticed by the masses yet 90% of the USA could tell you every vital statistic of some freakin moron who just got booted off some Island.... How sad...

You've heard of Fear Factor.... Well this is .... Insulating Factor, the untold story.. ha ha.

Alexandra
Pittsburgh,Pa.

Last edited:
Who got booted what island now? What's this airgap thing? not much writing about it. Is it anything like ballistic transistors?

EDIT: Nope. It's just that- an airgap is used for insulation rather than reverse biased PN junctions.

Last edited:
Don't know about the island either. I must have been watching re-runs of Jeopardy ;)

It seems unclear whether they are air gaps or vacuum gaps. The IBM news briefs say the gaps are so small that they create a vacuum. That is an interesting concept. I wish they would have given a dimension in nm or something. John

...It is quite amazing how such technology and its creation goes unnoticed by the masses yet 90% of the USA could tell you every vital statistic of some freakin moron who just got booted off some Island.... How sad...
I think you're missing the point. It offers valuable lessons on group dynamics which are incredibly valuable to young and naive engineers as the venture fresh faced into the corporate world. Some of the biggest career mistakes I've made were the result of not appreciating the dynamic at work in my professional environment. Storytelling is one of the basic teaching tools at our disposal.

To be useful from an educational standpoint they would have to be accurate. If not, the best they can offer is an awareness that group dynamics exist. At worst they corrupt by providing false information.

Given that viewer share is the major concern there is little chance that reality shows illustrate a working set of group dynamics.

I would rather watch "Leave it to Beaver" and brush up on my parenting skills.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I thought the shows were largely staged. The only reality was that it was entertainment for some people.

Now, if I could only have worked at a real place with so many bikini-clad beautiful women... What have I missed? :)

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back