Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C with PIC MCU

Status
Not open for further replies.

netbug

Hi,

I need a cheap PIC MCU that has bult-in I2C controller. After spending some time looking at the Microchip webpage, I decided to use pic16F689, however very few people use this MCU and I am thinking if it is the right choice.

Do you have a sugestion on what MCU can I use ?

Best regards,

Pedro Cardoso

Thak you Nigel for your answer. I need a master, but I thought that the software solution was slow, and so it would be better to use a chip that has I2C controller bult-in. Anyway, using the software solution would be enough for a RTC (counting seconds)?

Just another question, Microchip has PIC16F628A-I/P and PIC16F628A-E/P. What's the difference between them ?

Best regards,

Pedro

netbug said:
Thak you Nigel for your answer. I need a master, but I thought that the software solution was slow, and so it would be better to use a chip that has I2C controller bult-in. Anyway, using the software solution would be enough for a RTC (counting seconds)?

I2C is slow anyway, it's supposed to be! - and software is really no slower than hardware - the main advantage in the hardware is if you want to make a slave. BTW, 'slow' is a very relative term!.

Just another question, Microchip has PIC16F628A-I/P and PIC16F628A-E/P. What's the difference between them ?

Check page 179 of the datasheet (right near the back), the 'I' and 'E' signify different temperature ranges.

netbug said:
I need a cheap PIC MCU that has bult-in I2C controller. After spending some time looking at the Microchip webpage, I decided to use pic16F689, however very few people use this MCU and I am thinking if it is the right choice.

Do you have a sugestion on what MCU can I use ?

Pedro,

What is your intended application? The 16F690 family (685,687,689,690) are fairly new chips from Microchip. They pack a lot of ADC channels into a small chip... at only 20 pins they have more channels than many 40 pin devices, adding i2c hardware and an enchanced serial port are icing on the cake.

Hi,
I have several applications for the MCU, one of them is a watchwinder that is going to be produced (here I need it for a RTC). However as I am going to buy about 100 MCU's, I thought it would be nice to choose a cheap MCU with nice features, so I can use in other projects.

Other projects,
- Interfacing PIC with PS2 keyboard and a memory chip.
- Robot
- Media Center is going to be done with a regular PC, and a PIC MCU will be connected to an LCD and display several informations about mediacenter.

Best regards,

Pedro Cardoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back