Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C Temperature Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing as a I2C bus temperature probe? I have been using DS18B20 based probes in development, but with a few design changes it would make it much simpler and cheaper if the probe was I2C based. The searches I have done have resulted in a few SMT chips, but nothing in a pre-made probe nor anything I could figure out how to mount in a thermowell and make the probe myself.

Anyone know of any manufacturers or sources for an I2C based temperature probe?

I have used the TI TMP512/TMP513 power monitor chips as temperature sensors (and also as a thermocouple signal conditioner), which is an I2C chip. It's available in a small QFN package, so a probe could be made.

But the reason you can't find a prebuilt probe is probably that I2C isn't designed to work over any great distance; it's usually used to communicate between chips on a board.

The Dallas 1-wire protocol is designed for long distance remote communications.

I only need to go 2-3 meters. Some of the data I have found says I'll be fine, other data says maybe not.

In the end I need to build a simple "module" with remote discrete I/O (8 of each would be plenty as I'm already using PCF8575 chips) and temperature, using as few chips as possible. Right now the count is 3 chips and 4 relays.

The TMP512/TMP513 can use 2 or 3 diodes or transistors as remote temperature sensors. These signsls may be more amenable to cable runs of a few meters than I2C if they meet accuracy/resolution requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back