Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i2c slave address limitation and multiple i2c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glmclell

I want to control some I2C devices using a PIC, however, the I2C devices I've selected support a maxium of 4 such devices on an i2c bus (4 slave addresses).

so, can I get around this by using more pins on the PIC, to create multiple I2C buses?

for example, PORTC with 8 I/O lines ... can I use 0 & 1 for the first smbus, 2 & 3 for the second smbus, 4 & 5 for the third and 6 & 7 for the fourth?

glmclell said:
I want to control some I2C devices using a PIC, however, the I2C devices I've selected support a maxium of 4 such devices on an i2c bus (4 slave addresses).

so, can I get around this by using more pins on the PIC, to create multiple I2C buses?

for example, PORTC with 8 I/O lines ... can I use 0 & 1 for the first smbus, 2 & 3 for the second smbus, 4 & 5 for the third and 6 & 7 for the fourth?

Yes, that's fine, except you don't need to use two new wires for each bus, you could simply use a common data line for all the buses, and a seperate clock line for each bus.

Nigel Goodwin said:
...you don't need to use two new wires for each bus, you could simply use a common data line for all the buses, and a seperate clock line for each bus.

even better!

thank-you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back