Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C multimaster communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filaci

Hello!

I have a big problem. I need I2C multimaster comm. with PIC16F877. I read the microchip's AN578. This program use bit banging for master mode. It doesn't work for me... :?:
If I use the firmware controlled master mode (SSPCON='00111110'), I can't output 0 to SCL or SDA. I can write to TRISC,3,4 to 0, but PORTC3,4 can't, only if disable the SSP modul.

Please help me, if posibble! :idea: :?:

Thanks,
Laci

Filaci said:
Hello!

I have a big problem. I need I2C multimaster comm. with PIC16F877. I read the microchip's AN578. This program use bit banging for master mode. It doesn't work for me... :?:
If I use the firmware controlled master mode (SSPCON='00111110'), I can't output 0 to SCL or SDA. I can write to TRISC,3,4 to 0, but PORTC3,4 can't, only if disable the SSP modul.

Try my PIC tutorials, I have bit-banging master code, the MicroChip I2C application note is well known for not working!.

I thought multiple masters was one of the things I2C just wasn't designed to do. A master does not check to see if the bus is free and there is no scheme for negotiating multiple masters trying to take the bus at the same time.

Why do you need to do this? If you've got a piece of fixed hardware that wants to be the master, you can't hack it to accomodate mult masters. If you are writing the masters, as it sounds like you're doing, you would just make a system with only a single master. You'd need to convert the other "masters" to slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back