Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C GPIO expander questions - PCF8574

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
The datasheet is here:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/08/PCF8574.pdf

In general, can the chip run at Vss = 5V and the I2C bus SDA and SCL be pulled up to 3.3 V

The processor runs at 3.3 V with 5V tolerant inputs (with a series resistor for other inputs) processor.

What about the interrupt line. I should be able to do one of two things, right:
1) Series resistor
2) 5V to 3.3 logic translator and a 3.3 to 5V translator

My initial playing will be without this chip using two interrupts and some I/O ports directly using level translators. The processor will be this one: https://www.coridiumcorp.com/SuperPRO.php Which is an ARM Cortex M3 @ 100 MHz - LPC1756

Just getting into this new fangled stuff.

It's close, but it probably could (for +5V, the minimum input for logic levels is +3.6V -> 0.7Vcc). You need to run the I2C chip at +5V? Can you run it at +3.3V as well? That eliminates any sort to level converters.

Input SCL; input/output SDA
VIL LOW level input voltage -0.5 - +0.3VDD V
VIH HIGH level input voltage 0.7VDD - VDD + 0.5 V

I/Os
VIL LOW level input voltage -0.5 - +0.3VDD V
VIH HIGH level input voltage 0.7VDD - VDD + 0.5 V

That makes the levels <.99 low and >2.31 high for 3.3 V supply and <1.5 V and >3.5 V for 5V supply.

TTL is about >2 V for high and < 0.8 V for low.

It does mean that inputs have to be open collector from the 5V side. And 400 uA max input doesn't make these 5V tolerant parts.

OOps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back