Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C clock chip: PCF8583P

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcn

In Nigel's tutorials, he has an I2C clock board:

which uses the PCF8583P ("a real time, battery backed, CMOS I2C
clock chip in an 8 pin package").

Does anybody know of a Microchip part that does the same thing?

Is there a part (from Microchip or any other manufacturer) that is
similar, but requires even less external components?

Thank you.

kcn

kcn said:
In Nigel's tutorials, he has an I2C clock board:

which uses the PCF8583P ("a real time, battery backed, CMOS I2C
clock chip in an 8 pin package").

Does anybody know of a Microchip part that does the same thing?

Is there a part (from Microchip or any other manufacturer) that is
similar, but requires even less external components?

Various manufacturers make RTC's (Real Time Clocks), Dallas Semiconductor make some popular ones - have a look at DS1302 and DS1307.

But I wouldn't expect them to use much less in the way of external components, the PCF8583P already uses hardly any?.

Dose not work

I must be reading the data sheet wrong but I can't get the clock to start, not sure what I am doing wrong.
I am using a pre-built clock board and have the LCD hooked up and working, I tested the battery and the wire hook-ups and all that happens is it displays 00:00:00 for the time and 00/00/2000 for the date. I am using a 16F628a chip, have the watch dog turned off. thought maybe I needed to but a small delay in befor the display loop, didn't work. Just sits there. Don't know what I should be testing for.
any help would be apreciated
gogo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back