Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macka

Ok, Im sick of barely understanding what people on this forum say, and i want to learn more abot electronics. I'm in year 10 so i cant do a Uni course or tafe course and i have limeted knowledge in electronics, does anyone know a website or a book that could teach me a lot about designing circuits, using components and formulae to work out the components i need?

Thankyou

Hello friend , of course there are lots of tutorial sites about electronics..one of it is the one added below this post of mine :wink:

anyway ... could you please indicate your location in your profile and e-mail address so that any member at this forum can contact you easily...
best wishes from 4electros!

andrew12345678 said:
Ok, Im sick of barely understanding what people on this forum say, and i want to learn more abot electronics. I'm in year 10 so i cant do a Uni course or tafe course and i have limeted knowledge in electronics, does anyone know a website or a book that could teach me a lot about designing circuits, using components and formulae to work out the components i need?

Thankyou

The art of electronics is a good basic book. It assumes however, that you are good at algebra (a must!) and have a basic understanding of electronics (ohms law, Kirchoffs laws, etc..)

If you are not, get ahold of an intro to electronics book at library or bookshop.

The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz & Winfield Hill.

Buy it used here:

https://www.alibris.com/

Or new here (one of many places to get it):

https://www.amazon.com/

When I started with electronics 5 years ago, I would just find some neat circuits online and buy the parts to build them. I never could focus on reading a book to learn.

andrew12345678 said:
Ok, Im sick of barely understanding what people on this forum say, and i want to learn more abot electronics.
Do ask questions on what answers you don't understand.

I'm in year 10 so i cant do a Uni course or tafe course and i have limeted knowledge in electronics,
What's a tafe?
and do you mind telling us what you learned in your 10 years of university? or are the teachers too technical?

does anyone know a website or a book...
Personally, I search google for my answers, and sometimes post here.
Also, check the library.

...that could teach me a lot about designing circuits, using components and formulae to work out the components i need?

go to directory.google.com and search for circuit archives.
You will find a directory listed as that. Access that directory, and you will find sites containing circuits, descriptions, and tutorials.

There are two more information sources. Your local shop, and your hands-on experience.

Buy an electronic lab kit that comes with a book of schematics, and gothrough each schematic, and try to modify the schematic to make it your own.

Optikon said:
The art of electronics is a good basic book. It assumes however, that you are good at algebra (a must!) and have a basic understanding of electronics (ohms law, Kirchoffs laws, etc..)

If you are not, get ahold of an intro to electronics book at library or bookshop.

The Art of Electronics by Paul Horowitz & Winfield Hill.

I do have a basic understanding and i can also do some quadratics too. I'll try to find a copy of that book.

mstechca said:
What's a tafe?
and do you mind telling us what you learned in your 10 years of university? or are the teachers too technical?

Tafe is an Australian thing mostly (I think), its like University, but its not quite as good, if you dont get into Uni you can do Tafe, youu do several courses in tafe to get diffrent certifficates and then you will be able to get into Uni (hopefully).

I have NOT been to university, i'm in highschool. In the electronics lessons at school (its only a semester (20 weeks approx)) they teache us very limited theory, we learnt what a transistor does and what resistor does, they also tought us how to read resistor values. The rest of the lessons are practical (they teach us to solder and put a circuit together) and thats about it.

mstechca said:
go to directory.google.com and search for circuit archives.
You will find a directory listed as that. Access that directory, and you will find sites containing circuits, descriptions, and tutorials.
There are two more information sources. Your local shop, and your hands-on experience.

I will try the google directory, i have looked for books in the shops occasionally but there arent a lot and they are usually too hard for me to understand and are mostly for "older" readers (im only 16).
I have checked the library and they have 1 book which teaches you how to build quite a complex burglar alarm, i found it interesting but i didnt understand how it worked and they use a lot of IC's which i know almost nothing about.

Thankyou all for your posts.
I will try your suggestions.

A little tip on ICs:
You can't tell what an IC does just by looking at it like you would a transistor or capacitor.
Type in the part number printed on to along with the word 'datsheet' in to google and you will come up w/ that part's datasheet. That datasheet will provide you with what it does, specifications, and sometimes even application circuits.

I'd get a basic book though and ask questions on this forum when you don't understand it.

Oh yeah, and another thing, search this forum for "common emitter amplifier". I think that this is a very good way to learn exactly how a transistor works and how capacitors are implimented. I'd say that when I learned how one of these works, I started understanding electronics.

I know that transistors can amplify and i know they can work kind of like valves or taps and i know that you can use them as a switch by allowing current to run into the base (i think). so i will look at that "common emitter amplifier" thing and see what else i can learn about them.

I also know a small amount about capacitors and have made one (a layden jar)

Ill also look fror the data sheets.

Thanks again

ps. is this (https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/awsome-christmas-light-display-question.18817/) the thing you said i should look for?[/url]

Tafe is an Australian thing mostly (I think), its like University, but its not quite as good, if you dont get into Uni you can do Tafe, youu do several courses in tafe to get diffrent certifficates and then you will be able to get into Uni (hopefully).

I have NOT been to university, i'm in highschool. In the electronics lessons at school (its only a semester (20 weeks approx)) they teache us very limited theory, we learnt what a transistor does and what resistor does, they also tought us how to read resistor values. The rest of the lessons are practical (they teach us to solder and put a circuit together) and thats about it.
I wish I went to your highschool, because the only thing I learned in highschool was how to connect a lightbulb to a battery. I didn't learn resistors until I started college (equivalentto your tafe?).

Maybe Canada is not the best place for education.

yeah, college is very similar to tafe. they teach us to connect light bulbs and batteries in year 8 (some call it 1st year) science, but in year nine we have flashing plastics (mixture of plastic work and electronics), in year 10 we have electronic system (mix of plastic works and electronics (with the introduction of some theory such as what a capacitor does what a resistor does and how to read resistors))

I dunno, for some reason I've always thought you were around my age, maybe 16-17. How old are you?

if u want to know more about tafe look here **broken link removed**

by the way, how old is every one?

zachtheterrible said:
I dunno, for some reason I've always thought you were around my age, maybe 16-17. How old are you?

didn't you look at the "age call" thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back