Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to electrocute rats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolacoy

Here is the deal, We have been feeding squirrels in our back yard for about a month and really enjoy watching them. Our feeder is hanging on a big Oak tree. 3 or 4 nights ago my wife turned the back porch light on for some reason and the tree was full of rats and mice. They measured from 2 1/2" to about 6" long without the tail. We saw at least 25 of them.

We want to continue feeding the squirrels, but of course the rats have got to go. The feeder is attached to the tree with a 12" shelf bracket. I mounted a piece of wood on top of the bracket to move the feeder out from the tree 3 or 4 extra inches. It works great for the squirrels. Well, it seems to work great for the rats also.

I drilled two holes about 6" apart on the top of the wood. I screwed two pieces of #14 wire about 1/2" apart and connected them to 110 volts. We put up two red lights so we can see when the rats are on the electric wires. It zaps the Rats , but does not kill them. Got any suggestions.

I'd guess they manually flip the switch when they see the rats, or maybe just use it at night.

You might need higher voltage. Maybe spread the wires more then half an inch, better chance of an electrical path across the heart.

I just went through a similar rat problem. My neighbor was the food provider, but he's gone now, and so seems the rats, at least 19 of them I'm sure of... Try reducing the amount of food you leave for the squirrels, or hand feed them. Rats will come out during the daytime as well. You should consider an exterminator, or get really aggressive with traps. Rats can do a lot of home damage quickly. Fortunately none made it inside the house, and the damage wasn't too tough to repair.

Here's an idea. Stop feeding the squirrels.

Oh Man, India looks like spaghetti. We are watching the trap and pushing a button when a rat gets on the wires only at night. I could stop feeding but then the rats win. OK, I know the have been winning for 5,000 years. I am not going to let them win this easy. I did find out that red light does not bother them and that they would just as soon jump out to the feeder as climb.

Tonight I will redesign the trap. I think that they were not making good contact. I do a lot of electrical wiring and get a shock from time to time so I know that a momentary jolt of electricity is one thing. A good solid contact is another. I am going to run two heavier wires, #10, so they will be self supporting and design it to where the rats have to grip the wires with their feet. Also I will place a damp cloth just before the reach the wires.

Rectify you 110 Volts to dc, will give about 154 Volts with a capacitor. that may work better.

I really thank you all for the help. Tonight I am trying two different electric things and some of those sticky things.

I can understand using pest control methods when such pest invade your home like rats and mice, but I am bothered by the fact that a person can take such a cavalier attitude towards other life forms, and has no qualms with inflicting harm upon these animals. It is quite one thing when they invade your home, quite a different story when you purposely place food in their natural environment (Sort of like a big neon sign, Eat at Joes), and then propose inflicting pain upon these animals for responding to their most basic instincts. I suppose it is futile to attempt to instill empathy at this point, and you will do what you will. At any rate I find it sad that life is so easily disregarded.

Squirrels are smarter than rats. Make it harder for the rats to get to the food and they'll just give up, a squirrel will figure out a way. I've seen video of squirrels doing some interesting mazes across close lines and jumps that a rat could never replicate, they don't have the hands for it. Squirrels primarily are MUCH better jumpers then rats and they bounce pretty good, so as long as it's not a really tall tree a squirrel will take a chance a rat wouldn't. So don't be stupid and cruel, just move the feeder. Look up Squirrel proof bird feeder. It's about 99% sure to be rat proof and still let the Squirrels in.

Sorry to seem so cruel, but I believe a rat is a PEST, any way to eliminate them is good. 25 to 30 in the yard is sure a bunch a pests. They are very destructive PESTS. if they stay out in the woods ok, not in the yard, the yard is my home also.

I can understand using pest control methods when such pest invade your home like rats and mice, but I am bothered by the fact that a person can take such a cavalier attitude towards other life forms, and has no qualms with inflicting harm upon these animals. It is quite one thing when they invade your home, quite a different story when you purposely place food in their natural environment (Sort of like a big neon sign, Eat at Joes), and then propose inflicting pain upon these animals for responding to their most basic instincts. I suppose it is futile to attempt to instill empathy at this point, and you will do what you will. At any rate I find it sad that life is so easily disregarded.

In the first post, it was stated that they had only been feeding the squirrels for about a month. These rats were around before they started feeding them. This isn't their only food source.

I can understand your views on all life deserves a chance, and if rats weren't interest in entering warm dry homes, I wouldn't bother them. After spending the past 5 months battling these little bastards, and repairing the damage the caused, it's better to go on the offensive and do some population control. They chewed through electrical cords, the hose on my washing machine, and gnawed nearly through into the house in two places. Fortunately the damage was in places easily noticed, and not too expensive to repair. Your little friends could have flooded my house, caused nasty electric shock, and potentially burned down my house. Rats carry disease and vermin into your yard. I don't want my 14 month old puppy playing with them either.

Rats are invasive, and multiply quickly. The larger the population, the more likely they will want to share your home. If they can't find one, as I found out, they will make their own. I value all life, but mine gets the highest priority.

I'd be willing to purchase live traps, and ship you the critters if you want them in your house and on your property. Pretty sure others here would go to the expense, if you really want to turn your home into a rat sanctuary.

They aren't harmless or benign, is part of their life, and not really so unnatural, they are prey to lots of other animals...

If you really read my post, you would have noticed that I stated I understand using measures when the home is invaded. This is not the case however; as placing food outdoors is just an invitation for little critters. There would be no need for such measures if the poster simply stops leaving out little invites.
If I recall from your previous post, your pest problem was due to some fella feeding cats, and this resulted in your problem. No different here. Solution is simple, stop putting out food, and the pest will go away, and no torture is needed.

As a homeowner, not a renter, I don't plan to wit until they start destroying the interior of my home, before I feel a need to start addressing the problem. Maybe removing the food will be good enough to send them off to be someone else's problem, or maybe they try to gain access to the source.

I am a homeowner as well, and I understand the need to protect your domicile. But the OP seems to be bringing the problem onto himself, and now wildlife must pay the consequences for him to see cute little animals.

How often has human intervention lead to the demise of so many animals?

In my state, there have been so many bears euthanized due to the irresponsible acts of tourists who think it is cute to feed them. Once this happens, the bears start approaching homes to search for more snicker bars or a bag of cheeze puffs, and at this point the animal is put down. Our own state bear.

My solution is this, don't feed the animals. If you want a cute pet then buy one at a store. Leave the wildlife alone, and they will leave you alone.

And yes, I am a biology major :D

Ok, I am done with my rant :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back