Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to electrify my truck !

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigilante

Ok, not exactly the whole truck...;)
I've been having problems with thieving morons stealing spare cans of fuel, and opening the storage lockers on my truck.
What I want to rig up, is a simple electric shock device, small batteries, and a capacitor type setup, so that when someone actually turns the metal handle (not before, to eliminate the possibility of young children getting a jolt)on the locker, a contact is made, and the lowlife gets a blast.
I realise that there are legal implications etc, but let me deal with those please. I just want a simple circuit.
I would point out that the handles to the lockers are quite stiff, and need a deliberate effort to open them, so no little kid is going to be strong enough to open one, only someone old enough to know what he's doing.
And obviously, I don't want to injure anyone, (well...if I catch them, that'll be a different matter:eek: )
Thanks guys.........:D

There's a lot of irony in your post, as well as your name!!

Electrifying the vehicle, especially with onboard cans of fuel is a very unwise thing to do. There's already enough potential dangers in the mix with accumulated static charge and fuel cans... especially if they are the plastic ones. I sympathize with your losses and agree that you need to take further preventive measures... but safe ones at that.

I'm familiar with the handles on those storage lockers. Perhaps you could weld up a thick bar of steel and interlocking brackets to act as a block across those doors? With the right design and a stout padlock, they'd have to use a tow chain and a vehicle to pry it loose. Can your fuel cans be chained together? Can you use those metal "Jerry" cans instead that provide a locking cap as well as being chained together?

I know this may come across as a bit whimpy, but in your situation it's better to be a victim than the perpetrator from a standpoint of the law and insurance claims rather than to intensifying things further through your own vigilante efforts !

Lol Hitech.......I appreciate your concern, and yes the irony is intended...;)
However, the fire risk is minimal if not non-existent,'cos the lockers are strong plastic, and diesel fuel doesn't pose any threat of explosion. The lockers are actually lockable, but the locks have become unuseable from all the road spray and grit etc. So I just wanted a little, quickly removeable( it must have been static officer....) device to attatch to the handle overnight..........:)

OK then can't you replace the locks with new ones or recondition the old ones with a quality penetrating oil like PB Blaster? Can you use one of those large fuel storage tanks that mount in the bed with it's own pump and nozzle? They are lockable. I'm a bit confused here, wondering if you are locking fuel cans inside the lockers or trying to secure locker doors as well as separate cans of fuel that are hauled in the bed and not in those lockers.

Hmm...I would suggest replacing the locks with some better quality ones if possible. If I were a theif, (which I'm not :)), and I recieved a nasty shock every time I touched the handle, I would get rather pissed off and probably deflate a tire or smash a window or something.

I don't think the shock method would be very effective. HiTech is right, high voltage and fuel (of any kind) could be a disaster. I'd rather come find my fuel stolen then the burned out shell of my truck.

Unless the shock was tazer like, I don't think its gonna stop anyone from doing what they want. A thick glove, or somthing rubber would lessen, if not nullify the effect of the shock device. Also, in practice, it would be very hard to get it to work at all. What is going to be the ground? The dirt the guy is going to be standing on? The body of the truck (just going to have to hope he touches it while turning the handle) or are you going to make a custom handle with to well insulated parts? Anyway you go, defeating it will be as easying as avoiding the ground so as not to complete the circuit, or shorthing it out.

If you want an electrical solution, i'd go for a really loud alarm and floodlight!:D

Even if someone WAS trying to steal your stuff and they got injured by your security system, they could probably still sue you for it, the way the legal system works these days. If there are people trying so hard to steal your stuff that you are incapable of stopping them with a good set of locks, then they're probably not going to be stopped by a little zapper either. If you're too lazy to put new locks on to replace the old beat up ones, then why are you willing to go to such lengths to do it this way?

I've seen this "brainy idea" pop up on various forums before, and it's always met with the same response - it's just plain irresponsible. If you are really intent on doing it, then you shouldn't really expect help and support from people on this forum - it's a public forum, and dangerous/illegal things don't belong here.

Last edited:
Point taken Evandude..( I'd rename you 'Getevendude').........but you know how useless the police are with bothering to catch petty criminals like this..........it's so frustrating seeing them seemingly get away with anything.........oh well..........what can I say?........but you're right...it is irresponsible, and illegal..............but..........oh, sooo satisfying.........:rolleyes: .......joking.....(or am I?):)

I say that you should lock the lockers (that is why they are called "lockers", for they are lockable... :D)

If the little SOBs keep doin what they are doing, then i would say that you need to get an actual security system. I am sure you could rig up an air horn to a PIC no problem. Give the little bazterds a scare when they open the doors...

Even if you succeed, it likely will only anger the thieves and they will return to do serois damage to your vehicle. Is shocking someone worth it? Spend your time & money in some constructive way to defeat the thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back