Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to build 2.4 Ghz Wirless Signal Amplifier. Any body help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunwar

I want to build a low cost 2.4 Ghz Wirless Signal Amplifier to increase the Cable length support between Wireless Lan Adapter and External Antenna. Any body help me? Can any body guide me to a circuit design and details for this.
Many thanks in advance.
Muhammad Yousuf
MSN: ysf3@hotmail.com
Yahoo: oncallbpo@yahoo.com

Dear Paul
Thank you very much for your guidence. Yes I know and I have tested that getting WNIC closer tothe antenna works fine. But this is the problem that I want to solve. I need antenna at least 50 feet away. Means I need my WNIC supporting a 50 feet long cable support to the antenna. And this I need in a very low cost manner.

Buy one! - you're not going to make one anywhere near as cheap as you can buy one, even assuming you can make one that works?. It's NOT a trivial task, and if you have to ask - you're not capable of it!.

Also consider that the WNIC has to transmit and receive.

Can you build a bi-directional amplifier?
Also consider that at 2.4Ghz, the cable loss will be very large unless you use some very expensive co-ax.

Move the WNIC and use CAT5 for the 50 foot run, much simpler and cheaper solution.

JimB

WiFi connection.

Hi Kunwar,

I don't think you need an amplifier, you could do it with a better cable
if you can get away with it. I mean you can't hide a 1/2 inch cable
and you can't make short bends without breaking it. But it's cheaper
to buy a better cable and two short "pigtails", AND it works in both
directions ! :eek:
Another solution is to buy a wireless access point that can also
operate in client mode (ask the salesperson !), put it in a weatherproof
housing close to the antenna and connect it to the network port of
your computer with a standard network cable. Supply the power to
the access point via two unused conductors of that cable.

on1aag.

50ft of RG-213 is good enough and won't cost too much, i'm curious to know what antennas are being used? you could search google for a "cantenna" they're cheap, directional and won't cost very much at all, less than $5 anyway. Making a better antenna is probably worth a try before buying coax or an amp.

Why not a Cantenna? Ive heard gains of +15dB. You can make your own from various materials including a pringles can, a chinese wok, and other things. Some guy made a passive repeater using a cantenna.

Heres a link
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
This is kinda a good idea though. While on vacation the wifi the resort offered was too far away to reach from my room. And i only had my laptops onboard wifi at the time. Now i have a Linksys Buisness wifi adapter that should be alot better. But if i would have had something to place on the porch and aim at the router then transmit short range back to my room it would have been awsome.

Judging by the price listed on these **broken link removed** mighty fine looking amps I can understand why someone would want to make their own

If you think you can duplicate those devices for those prices then by all means show us the way. The test equipment alone will cost you many times that amount. You just can't do this with a multimeter and a scope. Even though it seems conceptually simple it is incredibly difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back