Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I think I have a bug in my design. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iawia

Here is my schematic. sorry about the rough drawn. i figured it would be faster. I am having the output of the j/k flip flop to flip power off to most components when the counter reaches 5. but the counter continues counting and nothing turns off.

i have hooked up an alarm to trigger the 'J' value to high when the alarm goes off, thus i figured that when the k value is triggered by the counter turning '5', it would toggle the Q state, the components (except for the timer and the jk), then the alarm would run out, and it would be able to start all over again on the next alarm signal.

i noticed that the jk doesn't change until it is clocked, do you think this has anything to do with the positive edge components?

any help would be great. thanks!

Attachments

• schematic_0002.jpg
    schematic_0002.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
What exactly are you doing with pins 3, 4, 5, & 6 of the 74161 counter? If you want to count to 5 and halt they need a binary 5.

Ron

i grounded them to load zero. if i load a five. wont that start counting from 5? its an up counter.

so what i did was 'look for 5', with the and gates, and try to change the state from j=1, k=0 --> j=1, k=1 which should toggle the power to off.

...............i noticed that the jk doesn't change until it is clocked, do you think this has anything to do with the positive edge components?
That's proper operation. Flip-flops doesn't change states until they see a clock pulse. If you want it to change states with no clock, then you use the SET/RESET inputs.

Last edited:
You also need to be careful when mixing logic families.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back