Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I produced the magic smoke. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicksan

After an hour of making a timer with a relay circuit from one of Forest Mims books, The circuit wasnt working, so after about 5 minutes of troubleshooting I produced the magic smoke. :( The 555 went up like a smoke bomb. :eek: Oh well, back to the drawing board.

:)

the magic smoke is the worst sign of electronics, especially the smell. just go over the circuit, check it, if it's good, put another 555 in and try again. if it still doesn't work after that, the circuit is wrong

wow I awlays use 555s, and even connected them in reverse and I havnt gotten one to blow up!:eek: :eek: :eek:

are you sure you connected the relay right?

things said:
the magic smoke is the worst sign of electronics, especially the smell. just go over the circuit, check it, if it's good, put another 555 in and try again. if it still doesn't work after that, the circuit is wrong

When you get the 'dark brown' smell is the worst, this usually happens if you are standing close to a high voltage electrolytic when it explodes,,:eek:

If you know what I mean!.

555 would normaly explode if are given supplay voltages that are higher then 5v they would heat it and in over time explode

Since the 555 is rated to 16V I don't think so.

I had a circuit with a 555 on it from a heap of electronics I bought off a bloke and for some silly reason he used the red wire for negative and green wire for positive. Yes you guessed it I hooked it up to a 12 volt battery and the top of the 555 hit the roof of the shed.

I should point out that while it might be fun to create "the magic smoke", if you use up all of the smoke inside a component it doesn't work anymore.

Brian

I got the smell also, I thought I installed one of the diodes backwards but I checked them with my meter and they werent. :?: I only applied 12v, Not sure what happend.

Yea, it was new and i tried a couple different ones. Id like to make boards for these 555 projects. I am tired of using perf board because bigger projects (not this project) get complicated.

things said:
the magic smoke is the worst sign of electronics, especially the smell.
According to your own posts, your signature is not correct :eek:

If it smells bad it could also be electronics not only chemistry :):):)

I connected a simple LM386 when I was first starting electronics (about 3rd grade) wrong, and after a while the tone of the speaker started to fall, and then the caps blew (6.3v rating, had no Idea about voltage ratings), and then the LM386 started melting the insulation off a wire that was making contact with a nearby wire (wire made contact on the casing), then it went...

BOOM!

Loud too scared the crap out of me and my mom and dad!

I like using perf boards, they are good for a prototype, then you make PCB.

I awlays use 5v, because it makes everything work a bit safer, aka cap ratings, resistors.

about 10 mins ago, I got bored, and connected a 1/8 watt resistor up to a 12volt 4 amp supply.
:)

mcs51mc said:
According to your own posts, your signature is not correct :eek:

If it smells bad it could also be electronics not only chemistry :):):)
well if it's working, it usually doesn't smell bad. but then again, it's what its made of that makes it stink:D :D so i guess there is chemistry involved then:D

Nicksan said:
I got the smell also, I thought I installed one of the diodes backwards but I checked them with my meter and they werent. :?: I only applied 12v, Not sure what happend.

Can you post a schematic or a picture? I did a simple 555 astable (5-10 Hz, 20% duty cycle) earlier today. Had a diode in backward (1n914). Got it to flash an LED, so hooked up a part I scrounged from an old, huge IBM printer. Its one of many print hammers, about the same as a relay. Don't have any specs, smoke wouldn't be a big deal. The LED stayed on, the coil didn't pull the hammer. Figured not enough current, maybe the 555 voltage drop... So put a cap in parallel with the LED and hammer, works. No smoke, not even warm. Only using 6 volts though.

I have no way of posting the schematic, but its on page 9 of Forrest Mimms 555 Timer IC circuits.
Whats funny or scary, depending on how you look at it is, I still have some of the same books I had when I was 17, Im 36 now, and some of them I have re-purchased after getting back into electronics........:eek:

Nicksan[B said:
]I have no way of posting the schematic[/B], but its on page 9 of Forrest Mimms 555 Timer IC circuits.
Whats funny or scary, depending on how you look at it is, I still have some of the same books I had when I was 17, Im 36 now, and some of them I have re-purchased after getting back into electronics........:eek:

hi,
On the web there a number of free screen/area capture programs that will produce a jpg or a gif.

Using this type of program, you should be able to post pix's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back