Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I-Pod to Phone Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
**broken link removed**
RappyTappy from Runryder asks...

"Want to know if anybody thinks this can be done, appreciate any help . For a project of mine, I want to mate a iPod to a RJ-11 phone line to output sound, don't need speakers. Do you see any problem with it before I get started? I just figure I wire the mic(red) to the ground(black) to a 2.5mm stereo plug to the wire that has a RJ-11 jack on the end. Almost seems too easy so want to know if that will work or if there is a way I can do it. thanks "

Last edited:
RappyTappy also adds:

"To clarify, I want the ipod to output sound through the phone line. So like, plugging the line and ipod into a phone and then transmitting sound through the phone line. The ipod will be taking the place of the handset microphone."

Only if that RJ-11 line is from the receivers handset, plug something like that directly into a wall outlet and kiss your ipod goodbye when the phone rings. I personally wouldn't endanger an IPOD like that if I had one, I'd use a speaker directly coupled to the headset. A phone line is not a hi fidelity device so no real quality is lost.

The POTS phone line is basically a current operated device so you need a transformer in series with the line to convert the ipod voltage to a current.

What happened to the good old days when you took an old pair of headphones, cut the speakers off and put RCA jacks on the lead wires and then just plugged them into the biggest amp and speaker set you could find?
Its such a simple and cheap adapter for going from small underpowered portable device to big loud unportable device.

I miss the simplicity of my high school days some times. (But not often!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back