Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i need to drive stronger IGBTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sina.vahdat

I have used HCPL316J to drive a 100A IGBT. But now i need to drive stronger IGBTs that need higher gate current that HCPL316 can't supply. Additionally I want to have short circuit protection. Can anyone help me? Does any one already have the map of a circuit of a driver that has protection? I think this is a general task and surely there is some one in this forum that has this maps and circuits.
thank you.

International Rectifier makes a whole line of Gate driver IC's (IR21xx series) designed specifically to work well with very large MosFets and IGBT devices.

put a CMOS stage on the output to increase the drive capability. That is what I do for the 600A modules I drive.
I use a HCPL3120 since it has a nice undervoltage lockout, runs from 15V but has a 2.5Amp drive capability. I need to hit some of my IGBT's with a peak of 15Amps so... buffer the output stage.

What are you driving?
I want to drive Skm200GB12T4. After that greater IGBTs for a melting furnace.
International Rectifier makes a whole line of Gate driver IC's (IR21xx series) designed specifically to work well with very large MosFets and IGBT devices.
Can you please tell me the exact number of driver from that family? because I searched a lot and found that they can just supply 2A or 2.5A output current. Another problem with them is that they don't support desaturation protection.
put a CMOS stage on the output to increase the drive capability. That is what I do for the 600A modules I drive.
I use a HCPL3120 since it has a nice undervoltage lockout, runs from 15V but has a 2.5Amp drive capability. I need to hit some of my IGBT's with a peak of 15Amps so... buffer the output stage.
It's a great Idea.You mean I use a buffer IC? So how can I implement negative voltage by that mean? Because using negative voltage as you know is important to avoid malfunctioning. Another question:rolleyes: How do you implement desaturation protection? Do you design that circuit yourself? And do we need to design over current protection ?(separately from desaturation protection)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back