Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to cover a 'wired hole' in the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

claudia

There's a wired hole in the wall that I want to cover. I'm going to Home Depot or Lowes this evening but I'd like your opinion on what's best for it, like a plastic cover or something like that.

This is the hole. Thanks.

**broken link removed**

Measure the distance between the screw holes and buy the appropriate sized blank cover plate, doubt you'll find a plastic one.

What are/were the wires for.....are they inside or outside.....are they still live....are they properly insulated at the ends....will they never be used again....etc.

If you just need to get rid of the hole, you could simply cover it as gerty suggests, or you could cut out some thick cardboard/plastic/thin plywood and fit that to the hole, then add some filler & sand smooth, then paint over.

Thank you both. I think it's for a phone outlet but the cables seem to be rolled to the back, so the best bet will be the wallplate.

I'm not sure why gerty said you wouldn't be able to find a plastic one, you'll find them a plenty, for not much more than the quarter you used for scale =)
If you want the wall back without a blank wall plate I'd grab a piece thin board trim it to the size of the hole approximately and use a simple plaster filler then repaint. Will look a lot better than a blank wallplate, white wash the edges a little to blend it in and you won't even know where it used to be in a month after it's had time to collect some dust. It takes almost the same effort either way.

Last edited:
If the wires are redundant, I'd just fill it, sand it, paint it and forget about it.

Rather spend a little extra time to get it 'right', than leave an eye-sore cover-plate that everyone notices....

I'm with Mickster. It's hardly more difficult than screwing in the plate you wanted to cover it initially.

Normally I would say to go with the plate, you might want it later, but this is a phone line. What do you even use those for anymore? Chances are if you have one phone jack anywhere in the house that's more than enough. Just board and plaster over it.

Those wires look to be a lot thicker than phone wire. Anyway, it's illegal in most areas to hide junctions/wiring boxes. A blank wall plate is the code accepted (generally) way to go and safer for anyone working on your home. You can't fix what you can't see, don't spackle and paint over it!

Last edited:
Hi Claudia,

don't worry about plastic covers. They are made to cover connection "boxes" inside a wall. They have a flat surface (to be painted the same as the wall) and plastic prawns to fit exactly into the circular outlet box. Fitted correctly they are almost invisible.

You can purchase them at any good electric shop.

I don't recommend to fill the box with concrete or anything else. If you need to get to the cable at a later time you'll be in trouble removing the fill without damaging it.

If you are located in Germany, these covers are "Abdeckung für Abzweigdosen".

Regards

Boncuk

" I'm not sure why gerty said you wouldn't be able to find a plastic one, you'll find them a plenty, for not much more than the quarter you used for scale =) "
Looks like a 3" round box, I do not believe they make a plastic cover for one, metal, yes.
" and use a simple plaster filler then repaint " It is a National Electrical Code violation to cover over/ conceal an electrical junction/termination box

Last edited:
what about just hiding it with a picture. you can remember its there and access it by just taking the picture off the wall it is then very appealing to the eyes and makes any room look better

hi,
Take your pick Claudia, they are a standard electrical item.

Hi Eric,

I'm sure you won't be mad if I suggest one of those. They are made for 60 and 70mm (2.36 and 2.75inches) diameter to fit snug over the outlet.

They cost the astronomic sum of 17€Cents each (including 19% sales tax).

Just slip the cover into the outlet and you're done.

(Made in the land of thinkers, tinkerers, poets and what else you wish :) )

Kind regards

Hans

Attachments

• ELDOSDECKEL.jpg
    ELDOSDECKEL.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
hi Hans,
Thats a simple neat solution.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads