Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to charge my car battery (12V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranatungawk

I need to charge my car battery (12V) from my home when it’s very low. I found this circuit from the internet. Please tell me..

1. is this a good circuit for my requirement ?
2. 1N4007 (1A) diodes are used for rectifying. But I think it need to use 5A rectifiers instead of 1As. If so tell me a what is good for this ?
3. can I use this to charge my car battery when it is in the car, ( with out disconnecting battery wires which are connected with the battery)

about the circuit

This very simple circuit uses a transformer ,two diodes , a capacitor and an ammeter.
To charge a battery just connect the + and - terminals of the circuit to the corresponding terminals of the battery.
When the battery is not charged, the ammeter reading shows 1-3 amps.
When the battery is fully charged the ammeter reads Zero or nearly zero, after which the battery should be removed from the
charger.
The circuit is a full wave rectifier using 2 diodes for rectification. The capacitor is used for smoothing.
I think the circuit works fine without the capacitor since the battery itself acts a BIG capacitor. But when you are using the
circuit to supply 12V (as a battery eliminator) the capacitor needs to be present.
Care should be taken NOT to reverse the + and - terminals while connecting it to the battery.

Attachments

• 7.gif
    7.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 547
The 1N400X diodes will act as fuses :eek:

Use ones like these:

You will likely overheat the transformer if you connect this to a mostly discharged battery. What I suggest is to put a small lamp in series with the transformer PRIMARY to act as a current-limiting ballast resistor, relying on the non-linear resistance of the lamp. If your mains voltage is 120V (US), then try a 12V 10W automotive lamp. For 240V, try two such lamps, likely lower wattage, but you may have to experiment.

In this circuit with the 12-0-12V transformer secondary voltage, you are relying on the peak voltage out of the rectifier being close to that of a fully charged battery, ~14.5 to 14.7V. This will produce the tapering charging current, but I sure as hell would not leave this charger connected long-term, unattended. After a battery is fully charged, the long term float voltage should drop to ~<13.2V (corrected for ambient temperature).

The capacitor does nothing and can be left out.

Last edited:
thanks for the clear reply!!!

Go to PowerStream.com
Click on "Technical Resources"
Click on "How to Charge Sealed Lead Acid Batteries"

This applies to flooded cell batteries, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back