Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need to calculate the distance of ir pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariakovo

I have a IRED that have the following characteristics and i have a phototransistor that also have the following characteristics. I want to know how to calculate the distance between them from their characteristics.The manufacture is Perkin Elmer optoelectronics. Thanks.

image.GIF

I want to achive 6 or 8 m distace but with only a ired and a phototransistor.Maybe and an amplifier for the phototransistor nothing else.Can i achive this distance with these components

You certainly require an amplifier, and considerable gain! - with LED and photo-transistor alone you're probably talking millimetres not metres.

But what EXACTLY are you trying to do?.

I am trying to do ir photo detectors.Photo sensors that detects objects if the beam cuts.For various applications like doors(if anyone pass the door then open the lights) etc.

For the large distances you're talking about, it's probably easiest to use IR receiver IC's, and modulate the transmitter at 38KHz. You also need to provide some sort of coding as well - the receiver won't work with just a carrier. Probably the easiest way is to use a small PIC at each end?.

I think if you want to measure the distance accurately, you should use the ultrasound transmitter and reciever.

I don't have space and the cost of a PIC is to high for this application. I have use ir receivers modules but i had the problem that you say. I had to send some data so. I beleve that an ired , a phototransistor and an applifier.Or and ired that send a frequency in 30KHz a phototransistor a band pass filter and an applifier.What do oyu think?

ariakovo said:
I don't have space and the cost of a PIC is to high for this application. I have use ir receivers modules but i had the problem that you say. I had to send some data so. I beleve that an ired , a phototransistor and an applifier.Or and ired that send a frequency in 30KHz a phototransistor a band pass filter and an applifier.What do oyu think?

Well PIC's cost very little, and the PIC side would be cheaper than your amplifier/filter circuits.

However, if you would rather use seperate amplifiers and filters it's a perfectly valid old method.

I want only to know what is the distance that i can achilve between the emitter and the receiver. The distance that i can detect an object between. I don't want to mesure the distance with these components.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back