Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need some help makeing my airplane seat monitors work

Status
Not open for further replies.

vthokie

I recently came across some fully functional high first class airplane seats and they have two video monitors that pop out of the front. They have a 15 pin VGA port on the bottom of this thing. The pin out for the port is as follows:
1 Red/C(CHROMI)
2 Green/Y (LUMIN)
3 Blue/Comp video
4 Power
5 Chassis GND
6 Red RTN/C RTN
7 Green RTN/Y RYN
8 BLUE RTN/Y RTN
9 Horz sync RTN
10 Power RTN
11 Data Out to Dseb (TX)
12 Data IN From DSEB ( RX)
13 Horz sync
14 VENT Sync
15 VENT. Sync RTN

I am trying to make a cord so that I will be able to hook anything with a component video cord up to this these monitors. I know I can take the RBG and thier returns to make the ports but my issue is coming with the power. Can i just take the Power and Power RTN to make a plug and be done? What about the CHassis GND and all the horiz and vent syncs? does anybody have an ideas? any help would much appreciated

Interesting project.
Guessing a little, seems that 15 pin connector expects a proprietary video source.

Pin 4 probably feeds power to the monitor, but you need to know if it is meant for 5V, 12V, 24V...48V... DC...I do not think it is AC 400Hz from the pins description.

Pin 3 seems capable of accepting plain composite video directly when the monitor is placed in that input mode, probably with data fed to

Pin 12 to set the mode, and

Pins 5, 10 to the power supply negative

Pins 1, 2, 3 are to feed VGA signal instead of composite when placed in that mode by probably pin 12 above.
Pins 6, 7, 8 are for the shields of the RGB video signal when used in VGA mode

Pins 13, 14 are also for use in VGA mode.

There may be a default mode that perhaps needs no data input at turn on. If you are lucky, try feeding composite video to pin 3 as is.
Or try to investigate with manufacturer.

A discarded VGA monitor is a good source for the 15 pin cable to start hooking signals. Just make sure with a continuity meter and label each wire-to-pin and carefully observe polarities.
If pin 4 voltage is unknown, try with 5V first, then go to 12V. No more.

Come back with findings,
Miguel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back