Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need serious help. amplifier/oscilloscope for a sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

cait cunningham

I submitted a proposal for a spatial sculpture that involves building an amplifier that converts sound into images (not necessarily accurate oscilloscope readings). I am using the elephant nose fish and picking up on it's small electric impulses an projecting them with a small amp. Is there a way to convert these sounds to images??? please, any thoughts will help tremendously.

cait

Hello Cait,

I actually happen to do most of my current work in aeroacoustics, and we do a lot of "sound to image" transformations, in order to get a better idea of the phenomenom we are looking at.

The short answer to your question is therefor: Yes, you can transform them.

The hard part is: no there is not a cannonical way. What would be helpful would be if you could tell us how you are going to use the images, and for what purpose, then I might be able to suggest an appropriate transformation.

I suppose you could use the frequency and/or the voltage of it's signals to alter the light intensity, colour, distribution or source. An ADC with a pre-amplifier stage will give you a binary value which you could pass to a light/laser controller in a PC I suppose.

thanks so much for replying, please bear with me for I am a complete novice to this sort of thing, and have a lot of questions-but here's what i am working on:

I am planning an installation that involves an african morymid fish (elephant nose) because of the way is uses electrical impulses to interact spatially (electrolocation). Initially I was fascinated by the correlations between machine/organism that come up frequently in my work.

So, in order to provide an abstract "representation" of the spatial interactions of the morymid I am using a small amplifier connected to a cable, connected to copper wire that is immersed in the fish tank (a wire on each end)- to change the electrolocation into sound.

What I would really like to do is then convert the amplified sound into visual imagery via a homemade oscilloscope (which i understand can be made with a television and hooked up to a sound source).

Any help would be very much appreciated, I think I may be in a litle over my head but I would really like for this to work....somehow. thanks or all your input thus far.

caitlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back