Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need information about infrared packages

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHAHRAM_MOJTABAIE said:
which photo diode I must use for this package ?
(photodiod for sendig signal)
An infrared LED is used for transmitting to an infrared receiver.
A photo-diode is different and can receive an infrared signal if it has an electronic circuit added. An infrared receiver has a photo-diode and the electronic circuit in it.

i've been told that exposed camera film is supposed to be a good infrared filter.

People use exposed film to view an eclipse of the sun. I think it is the UV rays that damage your eyes, and the film blocks it and also reduces visible light. I don't know how well it passes IR.

Attachments

• photo-thingys.JPG
    photo-thingys.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 111
I connect photo diod instead of photo transistor in receiver and circuit works with low effect.
I want to know the difrrence between "photo diod" and "photo transistor" at same circuit .

A photo-diode can be used reverse-biased and its small leakage current is increased when it receives IR radiation. It can also be used without any bias voltage then it generates a small voltage like a solar cell when it receives IR radiation.

The collector-base diode of a photo-transistor is reverse-biased and its small leakage current is increased when it receives IR radiation. Then the transistor amplifies it.

A photo-transistor is up to 600 times more sensitive than a photo-diode.
A photo-diode is fast and works at fairly high frequencies.
A photo-transistor is slow and doesn't work at high freqencies.
The TSOP IR receiver uses a photo-diode with a high gain amplifier.

A photo transistor is intended to receive a light signal, not transmit infra red. To transmit an Infra Red signal, you need an Infra Red Emitting Diode (IR LED).

A photo-diode is also intended to receive an IR signal, not transmit infra red.
An IR LED is the sending part.

If you want a wide angle that has low sensitivity and might pick up more interference from the sides then select a photo-transistor without a lens.
If you want a focussed very narrow angle with good sensitivity and less pickup of interference from the sides then select a photo-transistor with a lens. It might be difficult to aim.

As I said before, a photo-transistor is slow and might not work for IR remote control. IR receivers use a fast photo-diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back