• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help...

Bcicbi

New Member
Today i decided to open my asus laptop to see why didn't it power on...i removed tge power cable and it worked! And i started it with a screwdriver. And then i turned it off and tried to open it again this time with a box opener and this time the box opener sparked and it came a bit of smoke from the battery...im worried...should i throw my battery?...and if i keep it would it explode without using it? And if i could keep it how can i store it in my house without it exploding or something like that?
 

dknguyen

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
I don't understand what you mean when you say you started your laptop with a screwdriver or opened your laptop with a box cutter.
 

Mickster

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
I think we have a bit of a language barrier here.
Pictures may help more, but if there actually was smoke from the battery (due to opening it with a screwdriver or box-cutter?? - yikes!)...I hope the OP threw it as far away as possible from anything combustible.
 

Electro Noob

New Member
If you are lucky maybe you shorted only battery and nothing else try to remove it and plug the charger and see if it works.
 

Bcicbi

New Member
If you want to power on your laptop without a power button you need to short the 2 pins and it will open the laptop...but i think i touched two wrong terminals...i removed the battery after 1 minute because it was safe to do so...
 

Bcicbi

New Member
I tried without battery and it sparked like really hard the terminals...but the ac cord is branded fujitsu so i think it must be durable...
 

Bcicbi

New Member
Like you connect the hot and ground terminals or something in the power button and it makes your laptop go on...and if you get the wrong wires it sparks or fries something...i thing i fried something in that motherboard because when i try to turn it on it sparks really hard and it doesn't show any lights...and like the battery smoked a little bit and the stiker from it, it is like very little bent...can i keep the battery discovered at my house? Like near my bedroom but in an other room? Like i don't want my house om fire
 

Electro Noob

New Member
I had similar problem with batteries i found out the best place to put them if you want to keep them but you arent sure if they are safe is the oven because nothing can catch fire inside. Just watch out you dont forget them and turn on the oven.
 
Last edited:

JimB

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Bcicbi,
At the risk of sounding harsh, you are meddling with things which you obviously do not understand, and you seem to have no technical ability.
Most of your posts here seem to be nonsense, are you just a troll, just playing with us?

If you really have a problem the best suggestion is that you take the broken laptop to a computer repair shop and let them have a look at it..

JimB
 

Bcicbi

New Member
Bcicbi,
At the risk of sounding harsh, you are meddling with things which you obviously do not understand, and you seem to have no technical ability.
Most of your posts here seem to be nonsense, are you just a troll, just playing with us?

If you really have a problem the best suggestion is that you take the broken laptop to a computer repair shop and let them have a look at it..

JimB
Well you do seem harsh but really in general my question is would my house catch fire if i keep it?
 

Bcicbi

New Member
It smoked 2 seconds because i made a short-circuit with the power button and i want to know is it safe if i don't use it and keep it in something?
 

dknguyen

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
It smoked 2 seconds because i made a short-circuit with the power button and i want to know is it safe if i don't use it and keep it in something?
If the battery smoked, it is NOT safe. Put it outside. The last time I saw a lithium battery smoke, there was a small glowing flame inside seconds after that luckily extinguished as I was running to toss it out the door. It did not re-enter the house after that.
 
Last edited:

Pommie

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
I replaced a bulging battery in my 10" Samsung tablet. Getting rid of the old one was a big problem. I live in a high rise with a rubbish chute. At the bottom of the chute is a compactor so this was not an option. Many local business' s advertised that they recycled batteries but all declined this type - only took AA, AAA etc.. Eventually, I took it into school, put it in a welding bay with extractors and beat it with a chipping hammer. After much smoke and sparks (no fire but that could be because it was discharged) I considered it dead enough to throw in the (chemical waste) trash.

Mike.
Edit, any suggestions for getting rid of Lipo batteries for next time?
 

unclejed613

Well-Known Member
Most Helpful Member
.but the ac cord is branded fujitsu so i think it must be durable...
while it's been my experience that Fujitsu hard drives are reliable, i don't have any data available on their power cords....
If the battery smoked, it is NOT safe. Put it outside. The last time I saw a lithium battery smoke, there was a small glowing flame inside seconds after that luckily extinguished as I was running to toss it out the door. It did not re-enter the house after that.
when working with lithium batteries, it's usually a good idea to keep a bucket of sand around to put burning/burnt batteries into. don't expose burning lithium batteries to water, it'll just make things worse.
 

EE World Online Articles

Loading

 
Top