Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgg

I'm working on a project where I need to use a photocell to activate a motor. What I've done so far is place a photocell, that I bought from Radio Shack, in line with a 9 volt battery and a small fan. Originally the fan ran off of two AA batteries, but it also runs fine if you hook up the 9 volt battery to it. My problem is the fan WILL NOT work once the photocell is plaqced in line. I've checked the p/c and it appears to work correctly. Does anyone have any simple ideas on what I could do to make the fan work with the photocell???

Use a transistor. The photocell turns on the transistor with a low current that drives the fan with a high current.
The photocell uses a low current and the transistor amplifies the current.

Thanks but i forgot to mention...

Transistors or not allowed for the project, any other suggestions?

A photocell uses a low current but a fan uses a much higher current. You must use a transistor between them.
If you are not allowed to use a transistor then use a logic-level Mosfet or a power opamp.

Perhaps you should mention all the requirements and restraints of your project.

You can't use transistors? What kind of project is this where you can't use a transistor?

hmm, do point contact diodes count? I see a plan coming together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back