Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need help building an IR switch for a slave flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasingame

Hi,

I am not trained in EE and have little knowledge here.

1. I have an InfraRed flash camera (motion based Scouting camera or Trail Camera).

2. I want to detect when the flash is ON and switch on a 12V power source

The goal is to power an external IR Flash unit which runs on 12V and switch it on when the camera is powering its built in flash. The cameras will be outside in forested environments in all weather conditions rain or shine. The switch has to work in dim light or bright sunlight.

I want a solution that does not require any mods to the camera.

The camera's IR LED flash units are in the 800 to 950 nanometer range.

I have the IR slave flash and it is powered by a 12V DC source.

When my camera flashes (in the low light conditions) I want a photodiode (or similar) on a 3 foot length of wire such that I can velcro it in place over one of the camera LEDS on its flash array. Then I want to build a small waterproof box to house the circuit board with a 12V power In and a 12V power Out port and a sensor lead port. Thats it. I would like for the circuit board to draw power from the 12V source but if need be I can understand have a9V battery inside the unit for example.

While the camera IR flash is ON, I want the 12v OUT to be ON. when off -> off. Its straight forward in english but doing this is over my head.

The sensing delay must be as short as possible obviously. I find the most cameras have a lag time between when the IR flash is turned on and the shutter opens.

Future: Possibly add sensitivity selector knob (or something) where I can adjust it (fine tune) to the particular IR LED flash intensity and range of each camera for optimal operation. :) [assuming this really makes a difference]

I can offer to pay someone to help me build a prototype circuit board. I can build everything else.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Anthony

ps: How do I "watch" a thread and get email notification of replies ?

Last edited:
Trail Camera....

{snip}

I want a solution that does not require any mods to the camera.

{snip}

If your trail camera has a red indicator that shows when the flash is charging, then it is IMHO the only way you are going to get your info without modification of the unit.
That is if I understand this portion of your questions correctly.

You should get automatic notification of reply posts.

Thanks for the reply. Please keep in mind that the camera is an IR (InfraRed) Camera. The flash unit consists of rows of LEDS. There are no others on the camera to indicate "charging" which IMO is not applicable to this type of camera.

There is no Incandescent "flash" unit involved. This camera uses an IR flash array.

Does this help you? I could have simply said I have a single led on a board that lights up. When it does I need a receiver that will detect this and take action. That LED emmits light in the 800 - 940 nanometer range. Instead I gave the long explaination risking confusing everyone.

So, yes I want this done without modifying the camera. I want an IR LED sensor switch....

Here is a pic of a typical IR camera:

**broken link removed**

So... At the top of the camera is the IR LED Flash array. I want to plae my sensor over one of these to trip a slave IR flash unit hanging on the tree above it.

Last edited:
No Problem........

Thanks for the reply. Please keep in mind that the camera is an IR (InfraRed) Camera. The flash unit consists of rows of LEDS. There are no others on the camera to indicate "charging" which IMO is not applicable to this type of camera.

There is no Incandescent "flash" unit involved. This camera uses an IR flash array.

Does this help you? I could have simply said I have a single led on a board that lights up. When it does I need a receiver that will detect this and take action. That LED immit's light in the 800 - 940 nanometer range. Instead I gave the long explaination risking confusing everyone.

So, yes I want this done without modifying the camera. I want an IR LED sensor switch....

Here is a pic of a typical IR camera:

**broken link removed**

So... At the top of the camera is the IR LED Flash array. I want to plae my sensor over one of these to trip a slave IR flash unit hanging on the tree above it.

So in essence you just want yo turn on a second set of IR LEDs, that should be simple enough.
Just place an IR sensitive photo transistor in front and wire it to an amplifier / switch for the second set of IR LED's.

Yes !

What you just said... sounds good in theory but I do not know how to build circuits. I have a friend who has abreadboard and we can put something together but I need a few more details.

Would it be possible to spec it out for me ? and then reccomend somep laces to order the parts ?

Also, if you happen to know something off the shelf that would work this might be an option too.

Thanks in advance !

Anthony

There are many ......

Yes !

What you just said... sounds good in theory but I do not know how to build circuits. I have a friend who has abreadboard and we can put something together but I need a few more details.

Would it be possible to spec it out for me ? and then recommend somep laces to order the parts ?

Also, if you happen to know something off the shelf that would work this might be an option too.

Thanks in advance !

Anthony

Seems like you need some one with a little electronics experience, like a ham operator, to help you

What you need is a basic dark / light switch (12V).
These are a dime a dozen, then you have to switch some components around to have IR sensitivity and to switch ON from IR but not from ambient daylight. (This is the reverse of a normal sw.)
Sorry but I am not willing to engineer the unit for you.
The subject of electronic parts suppliers have been discussed here several times, do a search!

Something as simple as this should be a good starting point:
MakingaLight / Dark Sensor

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. If anyone reading this would like to help me with my project I am willing to pay for it. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Why........

Thanks for your help. If anyone reading this would like to help me with my project I am willing to pay for it. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

Even fairly simple things like this IR sensor / sw is difficult to design by "long distance" because the lack of access to the camera and the added IR light array. Without these components at hand, there are little chance of a successful outcome.

Some years ago a "trail camera" guy wanted me to redesign my flash trigger design for him to use. Later I found out that he was selling equipment on the web and there were some functions he had not been able to incorporate.

It is also interesting that you chosen not to fill in you location.

I am not trying to hide anything. My name is anthony, I am from Augusta, GA, USA. This is my first time here. I am not masquerading as some other user. I offered to pay for services. I am not the guy you mention earlier. No reason to get an attitude over this either. I can easily send you a camera and the IR array, thats not a problem. Do you feel its unethical to propose that I offer to pay for this build ?

If anyone would like to contract to build this for me, please let me know. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back