Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a timer designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgray136

I have NO electronics knowledge to the level to build anything. I can solder. I have a project in that I need a timer that I can set to turn ON and OFF for a set amount of time between 1 second and 5 minutes and then be capable of repeating the same operation at a defined time.

I have been looking for a straight forward plug-in digital timer but have not been able to find one that the on/off setting is less than one minute.

The specific use for this time is to open and close a Chicken Coop door at programmed times.

I have AC available but I'm not adverse to DC applications.

If anyone has any suggestions on existing products, kits or can provide instructions on building a timer I would really appreciate the input.

Ok, you've said that you have no electronics knowedge, so the learning curve doesn't justify for the project.

Instead, I suggest you to make an electro-mechanical timer, I've made a small drawing for you.

The "green" timer is the 1-15 min setting thing, the other (beige box) is because you want to repeat the same operation at a defined time

forget to write, the black thing is a microswitch, available on any store

Attachments

• timer_barato.PNG
    timer_barato.PNG
    21.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Timer

It is always good to have another's perspective. I get it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
A mechanical timer would be great except they are limited to five minute intervals. Some go as low as one minute limit but I need a capability of adjusting the on/off time in seconds.

Example: I need to turn a motor on for 10-20 seconds and then off. Then I need it to turn on again eight hours later again for 10 - 20 seconds.

The ideal would be to have two seperate switches or relays acting independantly. The first activated with in the defined time and then the second activation on a seperate relay altogether.

Thanks for the suggestion.

In that case the electronics is the way to go. Is a stupid question: have you any friend or somebody with electronics knowedge? I mean, to avoid exposing you to dangerous voltages/currents, he/she can take the schematic to real world

Last edited:
Timer

I can locate someone if need be. I can solder and have experience with voltages; I just don't know anything about designing anything. I know that if you touch a capacitor on a large farm motor you better get ready to dance...

I have soldered circuit boards together before and they even worked! I'm just not savvy enough to understand the circuitry without explanation. I was hoping there would be a ready made plug-in digital timer out there but I can't find any that have minimum settings of 0 seconds on...

If the circuitry isn't that complicated and I can buy the parts at Radio Shack I am probably up to it with guidance.

Still interested?

Last edited:
My intention was to use a 3.5v electric screwdriver as my motor. I wanted to turn it on until the door opens and then off. At a specific time I wanted to turn on the motor on in reverse until the door closes and then off. I don't want to rely on sensors on the door as a coop gets really dirty. I just wanted to be able to adjust the on time to how ever long it takes the motor to open or shut the door.

If the timer is a single output on/off then I will use a cam of some sort to open and close the door as it cycles between open and close times.

Hi sgray136,

you won't need a timer for that function at all. Use a switch, two relays and two limit switches to drive, reverse and stop the motor.

Using a timer will be too inaccurate to have the motor stop in time, when the door reaches its maximum open and closed position.

Also a geared electric motor will have different rpm values depending on temperature, meaning you'd have to adjust for summer and winter time at least.

Here is a simple circuit including a PCB layout for your application. The LEDs indicate either door closed or open position. They extinguish when the door is travelling.

Boncuk

Attachments

• chickencoop.gif
    chickencoop.gif
    11.8 KB · Views: 166
  • chickencoop-brd.gif
    chickencoop-brd.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 152
Hi Shaughn,

here is the modified circuit diagram as promised in the PM.

Once again, each electronic student should be able to read and understand it to make the circuit for you.

Regards

Boncuk

Attachments

• chickencoop-sch.gif
    chickencoop-sch.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back