Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a simple gate driver IC for a PMOS Switch (Asynchronous Buck Converter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quank

Hi,
I'm doing an High Current Buck Converter for charging a Battery very fast. I have designed the Buck Conveter with a 20 A PMOS Switch. The Battery charger uses a Battery controller with a PWM output but with very low current limitations. The aplication chart gives a gate driver circuit based in several BJT's but I can't understant it and it is not pefectly suitable with my application. Does anybody know any IC for driving the PMOS switch with a 2 A peak?
Thank you

Quank

2 amps or 20 amps? We can't understand any circuit you can't provide a schematic for... The driving circuitry required will depend on the specific Mosfet you're talking about.

20 a

2 amps or 20 amps? We can't understand any circuit you can't provide a schematic for... The driving circuitry required will depend on the specific Mosfet you're talking about.

Thank you for answer. I attach the schematic of the Buck Converter. The P-MOSFET is the Vishay Siliconix SUP75P03-07-E3. I attach the specifications too. I need to work with high current because I want to charge a Li-On 40 AH Battery in 4 hour more or less.
The MOSFET has a total Qg of 160 nC. If I want a fast swiching of aprox tr 50 ns I need at last 2 A for driving the MOSFET. The controller BQ2954 has a PWM output that only gives 10 mA.
The specifications of BQ2954 gives a example circuit for driving a transistor using two NPN, one inductance and one diode, but I'm not sure to understand it and I think is a little dificult to tune. Is there any easier solution, like an IC?
Thank you in advance

Quank

Attachments

• Esquema4.gif
    Esquema4.gif
    126.7 KB · Views: 756
  • supsub75.pdf
    67.8 KB · Views: 368
Why do you want 50NS switching? That's equivalent to 20Mhz! I can't see any rational for switching so abruptly or at that frequency for a battery charger. Also you should be able to charge a Lithium pack in 1 hour, 2 tops if you peak charge and balance the whole pack. What cell layout are you using that's giving you such a high amp/hours, that's gotta be a BIG battery.

What is your input voltage to the charger? You could probably use just a simple FET driver for the FET.

Sceadwian:
I'm sorry, I think I don't explained it very well. I mean than I want a swiching on delay, ie, time to change from the OFF state to the ON state (no the global period) of aprox 50 ns with a frequency of 100 KHz. I want also a swiching off dealy, ie, time to change from the ON state to the OFF state of aprox 50 ns. The battery size is aprox half of a car's battery.
Thank you for your answer.

ronv:
The output voltage is 4.25 V. I'm looking a FET driver, in fact. Thanks.

peufeu:
The driver you give me is very good, but it is well suited for a NMOS FET. I aprecciate this driver, and I think I will use it. Thank you for the answer.

In conclusion:
I've been looking a lot, and I think that is better to change the PMOS for an NMOS. I though that it would be better to use a PMOS for a simpler driver circuit, but in practice I realized that there's a lot of drivers for NMOS swichs and I have more options. I also have more cheaper swichs with NMOS and it is not so dificult to change the swich.

Thank you everbody.
I give the problem solved.

Last edited:
You will need a PFET for the high side switch. So 4.5 out how much is the input voltage to the FET.

ronv: I don't need a PFET for the high side. It is possible to put a high side switch NMOS. The input voltage to the FET is 12 V.
Thanks. I think I know what I must do.

Don't forget the gate needs to be 10 volts above the source to properly turn on the NFET.

There's a mistake on the schematic you posted, look at BQ2954 page 5, the "-" side of the battery and the "-" side of the capacitor are connected to the wrong point on your schematic.

Do a DigiKey search on category MOSFET Drivers, Hi-Side, you can probably do it with an NMOS.

Ahh. I see the dilemma. You want to switch 20 Amps continuous at 100Khz to keep the inductor small. You may have to bite the $bullet and use a larger inductor and a lower frequency to avoid the switching losses. But yes the NMOS will be faster for the same current.

Some high side drivers :

LM5112
FAN7371

you need to check that they can start into a pre-biased load... what is your battery voltage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back