Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a signal generator, will this one work? if so, how do i use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

Ok, heres one im looking at **broken link removed**

I was wondering how do i use it, it only seems to have one potentiometer so if it has analogue controls which i doubt a great deal, theres no PWM.

Im looking for an easy to use affordable signal generator, specifically for immediate use i need to reach about 1.7mhz

if the above cant be used without a computer, how can i get an affordable signal generator with pwm control as well?

I really need one, 555 timers arent going to cut it, as it is, they dont have pwm control with frequency control, in a single unit

So, anyone know where/what i need? i would have thought something basic like this would be easier to find without an oscilloscope to generate the data

The AD9850 needs a micro controller to send it a 40bit tuning word to tell it which frequency to generate.
It does not do PWM.

I think that this module is not what you want. Having said that, I have no sensible suggestions to make to help you with what you do want.

JimB

Signal generators in general will do PWM, but only in the narrow sense that the duty-cycle can be varied by a pot/slider.

That module could be made into a useful sig-gen, but you sound like you have work to do, and should consider something like the unit shown in post #3.
I saw lots of them for sale, but only a few that actually said 'square-wave duty-cycle adjustable.'

From a zero referenced triangle wave, you can easily generate PWM with just a comparator and a reference. This generates triangles with offset to 2 MHz.

I was wondering how do i use it, it only seems to have one potentiometer so if it has analogue controls which i doubt a great deal, theres no PWM.

Im looking for an easy to use affordable signal generator, specifically for immediate use i need to reach about 1.7mhz

if the above cant be used without a computer, how can i get an affordable signal generator with pwm control as well?

I really need one, 555 timers arent going to cut it, as it is, they dont have pwm control with frequency control, in a single unit

So, anyone know where/what i need? i would have thought something basic like this would be easier to find without an oscilloscope to generate the data
CMOS version , 7555 does your your job. it reaches 2.5MHz at its maximum and perhaps it can manage pwm

sorry i didnt return here.

Ill explain more specifically what im aiming to do.

I have had a need for an accurate signal generator for some time but now i have a project that requires the megaherts range, so 555's wont cut it anymore and its plainly getting annoying
this is what i want to use the generator for **broken link removed**
then i will go and build the signal generator for it

My aim is to be able to use it instead of building a fixed signal generator to test out whatever it is im building.

Im not too experienced in handling data and electronics, so ideally ide like to just buy the one thing and use as is.

So long as it works for the ceramic disc, anything else is fine, PWM is not completely neccesary unless i need a specific pwm for that disc.

Ill ask in another topic though regarding building an oscillator for the disc though, i just dont trust my own accuracy in this case and i dont have an oscilloscope to test if the output is working corectly.

study the pin5 function of timer 7555. it can perform pwm function to some extant.
you need to study designed circuits , say from 555cook book or some place. It would be possible to adopt 7555 for frequency that you need . dont come to conclusions without studying the things 7555 can do for you.

I'm wondering about the PWM requirement.

Most of the DIY Freq Generators I have seen consist of a crystal, possibly a divider or multiplier IC, Op Amp, and some kind of variable gain amplifier. (2-3 BJTs.)

If you want to modify the output wave form, I'm not sure that a PWM is the best way to go.

If you're worried about power consumption, a 9 vdc battery should run one for years if you remember to turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back