Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a schematic of a circuit to convert 12vdc into 6vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitman1989

Hi, I need a circuit to convert 12vdc at 15amps into 6vdc at 12-15amps. the reason I need the circuit is I went to a yard sale the other day, the lady's husband (who had worked on engines) had passed away and she was selling a lot of NOS engine parts... I found a brand new ignition coil still in the box that was marked $.50us so I bought it for my lawn mower engine that had mechanical points but the PO had installed an electronic maginito onto the engine and now the maginito is failing. Well when I got home I noticed the coil said it was for a 6 volt system and the original system was 12 volts :mad: and I can't get a 6 volt starter for a 1977 8hp briggs and stratton engine. so I need a circuit to make 12vdc into 6vdc for the ignition coil but keep the rest of the system at 12vdc and have a common 12vdc negitive ground.

thanks in advance,
John

With any linear regulation method you are going to loose 1/2 the amps dropping from 12V to 6V.

Check to see if you can get a switching regulator, but there will still be some loss.
Mouser and Digikey have pages of them.

EDIT: Somehow I did not read all of the original post. A switching regulator may cost too much.

Last edited:
Might try about .3 ohms in series with the coil. Maybe 3, 1 ohm 10 watt in //.

might sound kinda dumb but why not just use a motorcycle battery 6v for the ignition and 12 v for the starter.
then just wire up the charging system to charge the 6v and 12 v batteries.

Or just buy or scrounge a 12V coil. Using the 6V coil is just too much work.

I did not know how much current a coil draws. But I am thinking 12Amps is a lot for a 1 or 2 cylinder engine. Where did you get that number ?

Last edited:
That sounds like really a lot of current. I think gas is a bit more flammable then that.
this site talks about using a 6v coil with a ballast.
12v Or 6v Ignition Coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back