Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a really good Electronics Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorP

Hey Everyone,

I've been interested in Electronics for a while now and I'm even thinking of Majoring in it in University, but I would like to know a bit about it before I just jump into it at a University level.

I've found a few sites with some basic info on stuff like Voltage/Current Dividers, Resistance and Transistors but I still don't feel as though I could comfortably sit down and lets say amplify a guitar for earphones or simple stuff.

I was just wondering if you guys/gals have any REALLY good guides (preferably with pictures as I'm a more visual learner).

Thanks,
Trevor

(PS: I'm taking calculus right now so most of the basic math shouldn't be out of my understanding.)

Try www.allaboutcircuits.com, they have some very good introductions there.
Resistors, Capacitors, Diodes, Inductors, Transistors... are the basic building blocks of any electronic circuit & understanding them at this stage is very important.

Understanding the concepts of voltage, current, and resistance is very important for the future. Many people stumble here.

Then you can progress to studying some simple circuits and trying to figure out how all the components add up & the reasons the designer put them there.

Wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Thanks so far.

I had already read through a bit of the AllAboutCircuits.com website...but a lot of that site is empty which sort of sucks.

Souper man said:
Oh Noes Eric! You Stoles One Of Meh Sites!

Hi,
Woops! I'll put it back when I have read it!.;)

Like to know what the OP thinks about it??

That E-book is the same as at allaboutcircuits.com...but It's actually complete and I think easier to work with...thanks though.

Hey ok,

I didn't want to start another post for this because I'm not intending to build it it's just for the interests of learning.

Ok I was trying to think about how a Tremolo Effect works and I thought that the following circuit might work...

It's sort of hard to explain but the general Idea is that the NPN Transistor acts as an automated variable resistor and as a fluctuating current is passed to it through the base (I think) then it will either be loud or quiet depending on the strength of said signal. So for the part that says Oscillator I was wondering how I would go about making well an oscillator from like 0 to 5 or so volts.

My thoughts are that I should have a capacitor charge up and then expel said power...but I don't know it that would get me what I want.

Attachments

• Tremolo-Concept.gif
    Tremolo-Concept.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 129
TrevorP said:
Hey ok,

I didn't want to start another post for this because I'm not intending to build it it's just for the interests of learning.

Ok I was trying to think about how a Tremolo Effect works and I thought that the following circuit might work...

It's sort of hard to explain but the general Idea is that the NPN Transistor acts as an automated variable resistor and as a fluctuating current is passed to it through the base (I think) then it will either be loud or quiet depending on the strength of said signal. So for the part that says Oscillator I was wondering how I would go about making well an oscillator from like 0 to 5 or so volts.

My thoughts are that I should have a capacitor charge up and then expel said power...but I don't know it that would get me what I want.

hi Trevor,
There is an identical thread running, called 'why this simple oscillator/flasher dosnt work'
Have a look at 'heros' post.

Trevor, PM me with a valid email address and I'll ship you many good E-Books on the subject. BTW, be sure to have lots of space available minimum (10's Mb)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back