Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a PRO's opinion on this circuit please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most low voltage DC adapters that have an output current as low as only 100mA are pretty bad.
I have a cheap 9V/100mA adapter that gets hot even without a load then its voltage is 20V. With a load of 100mA its average voltage is 9V with lots of ripple.

Maybe you can buy a half-decent adapter and hope that the manufacturer does nor cheapen it during your purchase of many of them.

Ok,

So if I keep a 9V reg and then use a voltage divider like this would it make more sense?
power2.jpg
5V will control a PIC, 2 LEDs and a piezo.

Mike

The two resistors produce 5.0V only when they have no load. The 5V will drop when there is a load. It will probably drop so low that the PIC, LEDs and piezo will not work.

So I guess I don't have a choice but to use two regulators!
Unless I can be sure I get a batch of 9V or 12V wall-wart that are identical and remove the 9V reg...?
Do I have any other choices? My only concern is cost. (Without affecting my circuit's proper operation)

A zener diode and a resistor may be a good enough 'regulator' for the 9V stuff and might be cheaper than a regulator. Then you could use any wall wart of suitably high voltage.

Last edited:
So I guess I don't have a choice but to use two regulators!
Unless I can be sure I get a batch of 9V or 12V wall-wart that are identical and remove the 9V reg...?
Do I have any other choices? My only concern is cost. (Without affecting my circuit's proper operation)

hi Mike,
Sorry about the 'thank you' I was scrolling down the page with my mouse and I caught the button....:eek:

Mike,
If you have the odd components in your bits box, this is a very simple 5Vreg.

Attachments

• AAesp08.gif
    AAesp08.gif
    27.5 KB · Views: 155
Ok so I presume you meant 5V so I would do something like this?
power3.jpg

I believe the 5 Volts is more important than the 9 volts.
The 9V is for Op-Amp and a comparator which can withstand 2V to 16V

Oh and you are welcome Eric :)
And I should start using this thank you button as well, it is amazing how much help I have gotten by you guys on this forum.

Mike

Eric,

I am trying to save on cost of both components and PCB area and this is why I am trying to avoid having two regulators with its capacitors.

Mike

Eric,

I am trying to save on cost of both components and PCB area and this is why I am trying to avoid having two regulators with its capacitors.

Mike

Mike,
If you cut corners you will affect the performance of the circuit.
You should decide if you want a project that will do what you expect, but costs a little extra, or a project that you will never be satisfied with.

Yes I totally agree.

I do not want to compromise the operation of my circuit by saving on building cost but if I can save on building cost without compromising than I will take the extra time. This is my first project and the investment is coming straight out of my pocket so I am willing to spend a little time to save.

Mike

I have made my tests and I've concluded that I was going to reduce cost at the expense of heat so you were right Eric, I think I will keep my two regs and live with the extra cost.

Thanks you,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back