Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I need a little help for a bargraph project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modul75

Hi all and sorry for my bad english,
I am a student and I would like to build a bargraph that would look like something like that :
**broken link removed**

I have heard of the LM3914 and I can find the bargraph itself. Something I don't know is how to make the light work... without noise (the LM3914 needs noise to work, doesn't it?).

I need to make it work with a 3v batterie (CR2032 ) or a standard 9v.

Is there any other component than the LM3914 that would fit better my project?

I have read data about the MM5452 and it seems to work without "load signal", what do you think of this?

Thanks !

Last edited:
Not clear from your post: What is the input signal? DC level? Audio?

Do you really need 4 independent channels of 15 LEDs each? If so, some sort of uController (PIC?) solution would be better.

Not clear from your post: What is the input signal? DC level? Audio?

Do you really need 4 independent channels of 15 LEDs each? If so, some sort of uController (PIC?) solution would be better.

I would like it to work without noise. I have been advised to use a noise simulator. But this solution is not so easy to me (because of the electrical power necessary).

I don't need 4 independent channels of 15 LEDs each...
can you tell what you think about? thanks again

Last edited:
Nope still not clear, what sort of noise do you want to avoid? What are the power requirements? as always if you can tell us what it's for...

Use a microphone with an amplifier. Couple the amp output to a 3914. The mic will detect ambient sounds and noise of a room.

Is it just to flash lights? What do you what, need to display. Thare is 3 types of LM39XX chips, one for audio, one for voltage, and one for LOG audio. LM3914, 15, and 16. Andy

Nope still not clear, what sort of noise do you want to avoid? What are the power requirements? as always if you can tell us what it's for...

Ok I will try to make it clearer (this time) : I wish to create a little device that will work on a 3v battery. This little device will make visual effect thanks to bar graphs. A friend has advised me to use an LM3914. This component is nice but it is supposed to work with a microphone (no light on the bar chart if there is no noise detected by the microphone). Well this is what I have understood from this document :

**broken link removed**

If I need an amp and a mic, then the LM3914 is not suitable for my project as I cannot use a DC adapter.

Hi,
I don't wantto avoid noise, I want to avoid the use of an amp and a micro (because of the electrical power necessary)
The power would be (for the whole system) of 3V to 9V
The aim is to make a bargraph that would light on a hazardous cadence.

Is it just to flash lights? What do you what, need to display. Thare is 3 types of LM39XX chips, one for audio, one for voltage, and one for LOG audio. LM3914, 15, and 16. Andy

Yes definitely, it is just to flashlights, like a useless widget lets say...
I don't have any preference between the components LM3914, 15 or 16, I just need something that will do it without a baterie to test and without a micro. (none of these do it as far as I know)

Hum... because of the number of bargraphs?
I mean, a single bargraph can work with a 3V baterie, doesn't it?

Yes definitely, it is just to flashlights, like a useless widget lets say...
OK do you need the bargraph to go up and down. You could do that with a simple sequncer. a 555 timer and a 4017 counter or do you just whant all the lights to come on at the same time, or flash randomly. Are you trying to make somthing that looks like a working bargraph? Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back