Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I managed to burn my first PIC - question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

ooops i did it! :p

what i tried is out of curiosity to decouple a 78L05 with 1uF polyester capacitor from the middle pin of the regulator to the (+) and the PIC said goodbye! :D i can see the code inside it but i can't run my PIC or program it again.

the problem is that i don't understand what i did!! must something with the capacitive reactance? or MCLR 10K resistor touched the one end of the capacitor and something happend? :rolleyes:

If you can read the code in the chip then it is very unlikely that it is damaged.

Mike.

whiz115 said:
i tried another 628 and it gets programed just fine....

what's the case here? i don't understand...

If you programmed the chip as internal oscillator, then you probably can't access it any more with a JDM?, which is really a pretty poor programmer.

i'm always programing it using internal oscillator... the only time i didn't it was when i did the Tetris game with the PIC.

Nigel it is possible the PIC still works? if yes why the program inside it doesn't run anymore?

whiz115 said:
i'm always programing it using internal oscillator... the only time i didn't it was when i did the Tetris game with the PIC.

If the PIC oscillator is running, then you can't enter programming mode - so this means some programmers can't access a PIC once you've set the internal oscillator, particularly if you set MLCR as an I/O pin.

Nigel it is possible the PIC still works? if yes why the program inside it doesn't run anymore?

It's almost certainly fine, it's VERY difficult to damage a PIC.

I've thrown out a perfectly good 16F88 once because I programmed a hex file for a differnt PIC into it (It overwrote the config bits)
Turns as other users here found you could fool the programmer by connecting a good 16F88 and then dropping in the screwy 16F88 and erasing.
But as Nigel said, tough little beasties. I've even seen super hot PICs recover (+ & - reversed) still function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back