Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have material..help in getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitingautam

Hi All,

I am new here, I have following material

* chassis
* 2 geared D.C. motors (6V D.C)
* 6 volt 4.5Ahr battery
* 4 ABS antiskid wheels
* 2 follower attachments
* 2 D.P.D.T. switches
* 1 castor wheel
* serial port programmer
* AVR Atmega8l development board
* L293d (2 x Channel H Bridge Motor Driver)
* Infrared LED-Photodiodes pair
* 4 relay power driver

Please help me in getting started with it

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Regards,
-Nits

Last edited:
Very nice stuff.

I would first start by using wiring up H-bridge motor ICs (they can handle the motor currents right?), with one for each motor and connect them to the dev board, and simply program the dev board to make the robot spin in a circle on the spot for a set amount of time, stop, and then start spinning in the opposite direction and have it keep repeating this. After that you probably know how to control the motors.

Or, if you want to connect one relay with each motor and connect the relay control to the dev board and make it go continusouly turn left for a bit and then continuously turn right for a bit and then repeat (you don't have enough relays for reverse direction). This way you can get the motor to either turn, go forward, or not move at all and learn how to control the motors.

H-bridge is best since your robot can move backwards too, but I don't know if your relay or H-bridge can handle the motor's current since you didn't give any info about that. But you probably know.

THen I would start connecting sensors to the dev board.

Last edited:
Very nice stuff.

I would first start by using wiring up H-bridge motor ICs (they can handle the motor currents right?), with one for each motor and connect them to the dev board, and simply program the dev board to make the robot spin in a circle on the spot for a set amount of time, stop, and then start spinning in the opposite direction and have it keep repeating this. After that you probably know how to control the motors.

Or, if you want to connect one relay with each motor and connect the relay control to the dev board and make it go continusouly turn left for a bit and then continuously turn right for a bit and then repeat (you don't have enough relays for reverse direction). This way you can get the motor to either turn, go forward, or not move at all and learn how to control the motors.

H-bridge is best since your robot can move backwards too, but I don't know if your relay or H-bridge can handle the motor's current since you didn't give any info about that. But you probably know.

THen I would start connecting sensors to the dev board.

I am a newbie in this so I don't know very much about all these term...
How to Program Atmega8L?

On the diagram of the baseboard you posted, there is a plug that you labelled AVR-01 programmer. You need to get a piece of hardware called an AVR-01 programmer

**broken link removed**

and it will plug in between your baseboard and PC. YOu then use software on the PC to write code and compile it, and to program your AVR.

Adding some sort of over current protection would be a good idea.

What current do the motors draw?

They don't look very big, I'd recommend adding a 5A slow blow fuse or polyswitch in the positive sider of the battery connection.

On the diagram of the baseboard you posted, there is a plug that you labelled AVR-01 programmer. You need to get a piece of hardware called an AVR-01 programmer

**broken link removed**

and it will plug in between your baseboard and PC. YOu then use software on the PC to write code and compile it, and to program your AVR.

Ii already have this serail programmer see image in my post...what software need to program it...any tutorial available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back