Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have a radio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

I have just about completed my homemade FM radio, and it incorporates an amplifier similar to that shown below:

**broken link removed**

If you don't see a picture, go to: **broken link removed**

Anyways, the only problem left is the maximum volume. When it is low, there is practically no distortion. HOWEVER, as soon as I connected a 5nF capacitor between tr1's base and emitter, the volume has doubled. Once I added a 2.7nF capacitor between the base and collector of Tr3, the volume has increased another 50%, but now I am hearing unwanted oscillation.

Changing the stations seems to have no effect. Is there a way I can obtain lots of volume without all the distortion? do I need to lower my input current or voltage?

mstechca said:
I have just about completed my homemade FM radio, and it incorporates an amplifier similar to that shown below:

**broken link removed**

Anyways, the only problem left is the maximum volume. When it is low, there is practically no distortion. HOWEVER, as soon as I connected a 5nF capacitor between tr1's base and emitter, the volume has doubled. Once I added a 2.7nF capacitor between the base and collector of Tr3, the volume has increased another 50%, but now I am hearing unwanted oscillation.

I'm somewhat surprised that you should start randomly adding capacitors in an effort to improve the circuit?.

For a start I would suggested using the circuit below the one you did, the bootstrapping will improve the circuit a great deal - although it still isn't a very good design, probably actually not meant to be one?.

mstechca said:

**broken link removed**

Changing the stations seems to have no effect. Is there a way I can obtain lots of volume without all the distortion? do I need to lower my input current or voltage?
The schematic is almost worthless without component values. Post the values and the supply voltages, and also a schematic of the circuit that the input signal comes from.

Here is the page **broken link removed**

Why do you want to connect capacitors between base and emitter/collector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back