Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i have a question about diodes and rectifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

N sathishkumar

could you please give me a brief description about the circuit design of production of power when bridge rectifier and germanium diodes are together connected???????????

could you please give me a brief description about the circuit design of production of power when bridge rectifier and germanium diodes are together connected???????????
Could you please rephrase qour question as the meaning of your question in best can be described as nosense?

Sounds like a homework problem, nobody uses germanium for much these days. If you need a low forward voltage drop, try a Schottky.

Sounds like a homework problem, nobody uses germanium for much these days. If you need a low forward voltage drop, try a Schottky.

Unless it's a TV thing. There are some TV Chassis designers that still use point contact Germanium diodes for detection before the IF stage.....

Germanium diodes were designed and brought into production way before Silicon.....but are now used mainly for detection purposes and protection for Analogue Multimeter movements because of their sensitivity. They canno't carry any current of note.

So, Power Supply applications.....no good :)

For low forward Voltage drop and minimal heating in a Power Supply...use a Schottky as Duffy pointed out above.

Cheers,
TV Tech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back