Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have a challange for any one that wants it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I know, I'm studying electronics not English. What I meant by atrocious was that a lot of the lines in the schematic were crooked or diagonal, I'm just one of those people with OCD where things like that need to be straight or it's not perfect.

True, there are a lot of LEDs, but if you limit the voltage that they are allowed to draw (to say around 3V) then you don't need any current limiting resistors as long as you have 2 of them in series. That would also reduce the overall current that they can draw. The circuit only needs to run for about 10 seconds at most, that would be plenty of time to impair someones vision.

But that brings up the next topic, what color LED to use...

A red LED would have little effect since it has such a long wavelength. A high intensity green would probably work better but a high intensity blue would have the shortest wavelength with the highest efficiency. Obviously a white LED would work best but I couldn't find an LED that was a high intensity white that was relatively efficient. You could use a single LED and use several small mirrors to reflect light into a verity of general directions which would greatly improve efficiency regardless of color.

At 3v you can only light one LED unless you put them in parallel BUT LEDs should always be wired in series.
The preferred method.
a single 9v battery (two would be better) would suffice) seeing how the current draw is only for a few seconds.
Which brings up a question? HOW long does the op want the LEDs on?

I built something like this for my son, except it was to drive a servo. I used a PICAXE 08M microcontroller. Four plug-programmable delays using Ethernet plugs containing jumper wires and a miniature pushbutton switch. The program would not allow reset once the button was released. No power used until it was activated. The program would also kill all power after a period. Also, had a small blinking LED at the end to find it in the dark.

In your case I would rapidly flash the LED's on and off. Two reasons, more impressive than a steady light, and with a low duty-cycle it uses a lot less power.

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back