Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I have a 5 yrs old Silica small pack, is it expired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willen

If it expires in certain time and won't absorb moisture among electronics components, What can I do to recover? Is it possible like drying the silica pack in the sun or....?

it is not fully colored. Looks like a transparent small ball. It is little (very little) yello.

"Regeneration:
Once saturated with water, the gel can be regenerated by heating it to 120 °C (250 °F)
for two hours. Some types of silica gel will "pop" when exposed to enough water. This is caused by breakage of the silica spheres when contacting the water."

I think this is the solution for me. I can recover my Silica gel by heating it to 120 °C (250 °F) for two hours. Isn't it?

Some silica gel comes with an indicator to indicate when its ability to absorb water is exhausted. Yours apparently does not have the indicator. Just assume it is expired.

You can regenerate it by heat, see the Wikipedia link. Although it is most likely the material you have is silica gel, be aware that some drying agents, most importantly calcium chloride, cannot be regenerated simply by heating. Calcium chloride will be opaque white crystals, like coarsely ground chalk. Silica gel will be somewhat translucent.

John

Edit: We cross posted. Yes, regenerate the silica gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back