Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I Got An Idea, I Need A Direction. Audio and Telemetry help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr909

So, I heard about this NeuroSky chip that reads some raw EEG to determine focus level, and it got me thinking about an efficient, hands-free MP3 system.

See, I'm a geek and I'm big into over-the-ear headphones. I don't care how clunky they are, they don't violate my earholes and they give good sound quality no matter how cheap they are, for the most part.

So I had this idea- If I could put a NeuroSky chip to read attention levels, an Arduino Nano, and some sort of playback device, I could build it straight into the headband. From there, it's just a matter of giving it something to play and having it play it. Whenever someone got my attention, it could automatically turn the sound down, even stop the song, so I could hear what they're saying, then chillax and the volume would go straight back up.

I'm thinking about accomplishing this by means of a wireless remote I can keep in my pocket (maybe add a "shake to skip song" feature) That would serve to store the songs via SD card or maybe USB. This would be a second Arduino, with buttons and a transceiver, probably in a painted mint tin.

So here's my actual questions:

Playback- Ouch. I've never dealt with anything like this; I'm a newbie and I may have bit off more than I can chew with this bit. How do I read/write from SD or flash drives? Playback needs to output to headphone jack, what kind of stuff am I looking at?

There's also a telemetry issue, something else I'm new to. I'm sort of new to everything.
What would you recommend for cost efficient streaming-audio and two-sided communication that could fit in a headband? Keep in mind, this is just pocket-to-head, but it needs to be seamless. Weight is probably the biggest concern, this, the Nano, and the NeuroSky chip need to fit smoothly into the headband.

EDIT: Oh, power. Power considerations. I could use some wisdom here too.

Last edited:
Some other folks have made arduino and/or PIC based MP3 players. I am sure you can find the code and schematics on the web. Then you just modify the code to add in your sky-thingy chip :)

You could use a lithium polymer or lithium ion battery for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back