Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I finally got a scope! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Hi to all,

I just got an oscilloscope Scopex 14D-10v, and its the first one I've had so I don't know how to test or use it!

It didn't have any leads with it (except the mains lead) so I don't have a clue what I should do next. Surely there must be some way of testing it without the proper leads, it has BNC connectors for the leads and I have some I could make a trial lead with for now, but I am unsure if there is anything in the leads like a resistance or safety devices?

Any help would be appreciated as I would be finally able to check the circuits I build with something other than my DMM! :) It may even prevent some of the magic smoke I make! hehehe

PS anyone have a user guide that may help me to learn how to use it, even if its for a different scope it may help me get the hang of it.

Thanks for looking...............Al :confused:

hi Al,
I Googled for using an oscilloscope got lots of info.

Ideally the scope leads should be shop bought, Maplins for example.

Get the *1 and *10 probes, they have a small switch on the probe which selects the 'attenuation' of the probe.
ie: on *10 a, 10volt signal would appear on the scope as 1V

You can make up 'hands on' leads from screened cable, TV aerial cable or audio screened, until you get 'decent' probes.

Regards.:)

Last edited:
To add to Eric's comments, if you're not familiar with scope probes, you use the 10X position when probing high frequency or other circuits sensitive to capacitance. The 10X probe typically has less than 10pF of capacitance. If you need maximum sensitivity and the circuit is low frequency, then you can use the 1X position where the probe capacitance is probably about 100pF.

Well it works I think :)

Thanks for the suggestions Eric & Crutschow,

I have tried it and so far it seems to be ok.

Still puzzled about one thing though! Will I damage anything by testing an unknown source, I mean voltage wise, obviously I don't intend to hook the probe up to the mains but if I'm testing a circuit and there was for example 100v at a fairly high frequency, it wouldn't test with the DMM so I would be testing blind, could it do any harm to the scope?

Thanks again guys.............Al

It is wise with mains applications e.g rectifiers to run the scope of an isolating transformer, just in case the ground of your test lead happens to short out, when connected to another side of a SCR which happens to be at mains potential.

Look after your safety while doing those tests.

For voltages you are not sure of just put a 100 k:eek:hm: 1/2 watt resistor in series with the test lead.

This is the cheapest, looks OK
**broken link removed**

I noticed that China based company also selling on ebay.

They are selling packs of two sets of probes cheaper than their single probe!

As far as I can tell, the only difference is in one of the photos of the cheaper item, it shows the probe frequency as 60Mhz, the more expensive one is shown as 100Mhz

I was thinking of getting a new probe for my old 'scope which only has a 25Mhz bandwidth, so presumably the 60Mhz type should be ideal?

Probes Ordered

Hi Guys,

Thanks Eric and Picasm, I have ordered a set now following your advice, just got to wait for them dropping through the post box now. :)

Thanks again........Al :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back