Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I drove a new Prius for the first time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I remember back in the 70's during the gas crisis the auto makers started boasting car MPG's of over 30mpg on highway. What happened to those cars?

They boosted the compression ratio to get better mileage out of them. Unfortunately this requires higher octane fuels which are more expensive too. They also ran them with a much leaner air/fuel mix. Unfortunately, lean burns are incompatible with catalytic converters which reduce emissions of NOx, etc.

Last edited:
Funny, I remember back in the 70's during the gas crisis the auto makers started boasting car MPG's of over 30mpg on highway. What happened to those cars?

I have a few friends who still have vehicles from that era. No emissions systems simple to tune carburetors and loads of power in a heavy vehicle with the same to better fuel mileage than todays comparable sized stuff. ;)

The engine in my new pickup is touted as one of the most efficient designs Ford has ever created. So how come the engine from my old pickup (1977 Ford) could get the same fuel mileage even while pulling this one at the same time? :confused:

.... It wasn't a space shuttle it was a mars probe.

Space shuttles have problems with bad insulation.
Apparently the intense heat and wickedly harsh stresses involved in launching and landing a space shuttle dont seem to bring up any concerns with NASA relating to the quality and durability of poly foam based materials being used in such conditions. :rolleyes:

Foam in a can just seems like it should have worked better!
After all it didn't specifically say 'Not for use on space shuttles.' on the can. :D

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceadwian
.... It wasn't a space shuttle it was a mars probe.

Yes, I think Nigel already pointed that out.

Woops, that's what I get for posting while watching a movie =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back