Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

i don't know if my bios or my MB supports hdd 160 gb...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkanelakis

hi to everyone, i need some help. i have a gigabyte motherboard (ga-7vtxe) using the chipset via kt266a. My motherboard has the dual bios. I want to buy a hard disk at 160 GB, specifically a Maxtor ATA_133. So, I have two questions :
1. I don't know if my motherboard or my bios supports up to 160 gb hdds.
2.The hdd i want to buy is ATA-133, while my MB supports ATA66/ATA100. That means that the hdd will work at ATA-100?

Thank you for your time...

jkanelakis said:
hi to everyone, i need some help. i have a gigabyte motherboard (ga-7vtxe) using the chipset via kt266a. My motherboard has the dual bios. I want to buy a hard disk at 160 GB, specifically a Maxtor ATA_133. So, I have two questions :
1. I don't know if my motherboard or my bios supports up to 160 gb hdds.

I've no idea, but you should be able to download the motherboard instructions from the Gigabyte website.

Even if the board won't handle 160GB, you can usually partition it into two smaller drives, which works fine.

2.The hdd i want to buy is ATA-133, while my MB supports ATA66/ATA100. That means that the hdd will work at ATA-100?

Yes, it will work at ATA100.

For drives larger then 137.8GB your system needs to support 48-Bit LBA in stead of the old 28-Bit LBA.

This site has a tool to test your pc for 48-Bit LBA support called hd-tool ( https://www.48bitlba.com/hdinfo.htm )

Normally, 48-BIT LBA support was added in the UATA-133 interface, so I don't have much hope for your UATA-100 system, but you can always try the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back