Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I captured this data, how do I determine which protocol it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello there,

Please see the attached screenshot.

How do I determine which protocol the I captured here?

Frequency of the clock is circa 25kHz. According to my calculations, it is 26227Hz.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Marius

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Maybe if you could tell us what device you captured it from it might give a better clue. Better still, what chip was it at the input or output of?

Does not look like any special kind of protocol to me, just control signals for some kind of shift-and-load device, like 74HCT595 shift register chain, or graphic display maybe.

Trace 4 looks like a reset signal.

All just guesses with the minimum information provided.

Last edited:
This was captured from a smart card and card reader.

The way I interact with the machine is: I insert the card, the card reader displays the balance of credit on the card. I captured a sample of this interaction. I can post it tonight.

Next you press a button on the card reader. This reduces the balance on the card. The a above screenshot is of this communication.

Thanks.M

That is not any protocol I am familiar with, it must be proprietary.

I don't think I want to help anybody to steal money from credit cards.

Count me out !

It upsets me that you insinuate that I would steal money. Your insinuation fills me with despair.

That is not any protocol I am familiar with, it must be proprietary.

Thanks man. These devices are discontinued so we cannot get a service manual for them.M

Last edited:
Trace 3 appears to be a clock... one that changes duty cycle and frequency, very strange. Traces 4 and 7 appear to be start and stop signals.

Trace 5 appears to be data. From the asymmetric high and low periods and the multiple clock pulses, it would appear to be some sort of NRZ format - like Differential Manchester encoding.

Last edited:
When the card is inserted into the reader, the reader displays the value. I reckon it is probably transferred to the reader through the contacts (The reader does not have a phone line).

This is the communication when the balance is ten and balance zero. Strangely, they look pretty much identical (the first attachment is for 10 credit balance, the second is for no credit balance)

The only difference is in trace 2 at the very beginning of the signal (the third attachment is when there are no credits on the card. The last attachment is with 10 credit balance).

What do you think?

Thanks.M

Attachments

• 10dollar.png
    10dollar.png
    105 KB · Views: 159
  • nodollar.png
    nodollar.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 156
  • nocreds.png
    nocreds.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 10creds.png
    10creds.png
    93.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
The first two certainly do look identical. Are you certain the card is being queried for the number of credits in this transmission? Simply reading the card may not be enough to do it, and if there are multiple transmissions the logic analyzer may only be grabbing the first.

Concerning those last two images: the violet trace on "no credits" looks more like an increasing PWM than data. For a chip that is powered by the reader, this may simply be an ordinary power-up glitch. Try reloading the "no credits" card with 10 credits and see how it compares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back