Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I built this Antenna today CM4228 clone almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

Tell me what you think. If you have suggestions for changes let me know.

I built this antenna from information on this link. Temporary page

The finished antenna weighs 4.5 lbs.

Each bowtie elements are 9.75"long, 5" from tip to tip. Space between each bowtie is 1.5" mounted on a plastic insulator. Aluminum wire is 1/8" diameter. Elements are longer than the CM4228 but I have more aluminum wire so I can make some 8" like the CM4228 or 6.2" like the DB-8. The reflector screen is 8" wider than the CM4228 and 4" from the elements.

Space between each bay or each set of elements is 9.5".

Harmess has been changed according to suggestions on the link. An 18" long 75 ohm coax cable goes from each side to a combiner on the back side of the reflector screen. I took the back off of the combiner it has a balun inside. For the moment I am not putting a 300 to 75 ohm balun on each side I am only using the balun inside the combiner.

I took the back cover off on the combiner it looks about the same as a T splitter inside. There is a tiny farrite donut inside with wires from each terminal wrapped around the donut like a balun.

I thought I would test the antenna then make changes and test it again. I can put on 2 baluns to see if it works better or worse. I seem to recall there is a dB loss going through a balun so I figured by not using a balun I avoid the loss. Seems like the balun thing inside the combiner might work in the place of 2 baluns. Have to test it and see.

The link says the screen should be insulated from the frame. I plan to make the change tomorrow with a 1/8" plastic spacer and 6 more screws.

I have a 10 foot pole for a tower I plan to bolt to the side of my brick chimney this will put the antenna 27 ft from the ground. I also have a 60 ft tower in 6 sections since the neighborhood does not allow antennas I need to keep a low profile and not use this.

I need to go back and read that information again I seem to recall both wires on the phase line should be the exact same length. If the top wire is bent up and over to maintain a space of 1" then it will be longer than the bottom wire. If I make the bottom wire longer then I some how need to find a way to make it so the wire fits in that small space without just hanging down on the metal frame. Maybe I can bend it zig zag like a saw tooth to shorten the wire.

The ARRL Antenna Handbook shows several different length dipole connected together in parallel as one common antenna. It say 1 antenna can be made to pick up several different frequencies. Since the antenna that I build has 8 bowtie dipoles I should be able to do the same thing. What if the antenna has whiskers for 300, 400, 500, 600 MHz all in parallal like the ARRL book says?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/Ant-01.jpg

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Photobucket has been a problem for several days. I won't let me access any page except the very first page and it won't let me delete unwanted photos. OK it is fixed now.

The antenna is up and it is working great. I had a lot of trouble getting it mounted the brick layers didn't use much cement every time I drilled a hole for ancher bolts it was hollow about 1" into the cement. The chimnel looks like a swiss cheese I drilled holes everywhere, now I need to patch holes. I just happen to have a 43 foot double shield coax and it is about 5 ft of so too short. The cable is banjo string tight it just barely reaches. I was running out of sun light so I didn't make any changes to the antenna. Tomorrow I will replace the cross wires and add the 2 300 ohm baluns and see what happens. I did rescan on the TV and picked up 3 new channels but they are nothing I care about.

I bought several sections of chain link fence rail the ends slide together and it makes a great antenna tower. I stood the antenna up against the house using 2 pieces of the 10 ft long fence rails this put the center of the antenna 18.5 ft off the ground. Signal on all channel are good 85% on the TV field strength meter.

After moving the antenna up to 27 ft the signal is now only 65%. The SUN is low on the horizon and every day when the sun is low TV signal SUCKS. I very often loose several channels for about an hour until the sun gets below the horizon then the signal returns to normal. Not sure what is the deal with that. I never watch TV when the sun is up so I really don't care. When the sun gets all the way down I will check signal strength again.

The signal is very good. In the past channel 30, 28 and 5 were always the hardest to receive. They are all 3 coming is crystal clean now. Signal is not fading at all.

I am receiving a total of 31 channels but I am only interested in these, 2.1, 2.2, 4.1, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 8.1, 8.2, 17.1, 28.1, 28.3, 30.1.

Someone asked, what is the spacing between the reflector screen and the elements. It is 4.062". Someone mentioned the weight of my antenna, I weighed it with bathroom scales. Setting it on the scales it only weighs about 3 lbs but if I stand on the scales then pick up the antenna it causes me to get about 4 to 4.5 lbs heaver.

The antenna is aimed at 309 degrees I set it with a compas. All the channels I want to receive are between 295 and 322 degrees. The half way point is 308.5. I will probably experement with this angle later I might turn the antenna closer to 321 where the hardest to receive channels are.

My house is on a slight hill about 10 to 15 ft higher than the houses to the NW. This puts my antenna about 37 to 42 ft high compaired to the other houses. But about 4 blocks to the NW there are houses about the same height as mine.

More pictures.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

TV Fool **broken link removed**

Photobucket has been a problem for several days. I won't let me access any page except the very first page and it won't let me delete unwanted photos. OK it is fixed now.

That's why it's better to just post the pictures here. Here, they will be archived and available for future viewers. When hosted externally, there is no such protection.

Now back to the topic at hand--your antenna looks very nice to me. I don't know a lot about antennas but I can admire the workmanship. :)

Cheers,

Torben

[Edit: Just wondering: how well does the mounting hold up in high winds?]

Last edited:
Like this. It seems to me this is just a link to photobucket.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back