Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I bought Doom 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
Talk about disasters....

First off the installation from the DVD is 7 gig ( Some downloadable content ) <----- Understatement of the year!!

After some hours... 53 gigabyte later and some swearing...

I finally pressed "RUN"... Downloading VC runtime content!!

I finally pressed "RUN".... Downloading patch!!! AAAARRRGGGHH...

17 gig later ( we're on about day 3 now as I needed to get up and leave it!! ).

I finally pressed "RUN"........... waiting...............waiting............ Error!! OpenGL problem current system not supported!

I have an AMD Phenom X4.... I have a 9800 GTX... BUT!! only 4 gig of ram... Checked my MOBO specs.... no more slots and the MOBO doesn't support more than 4 gig........ AAAARRRRGGGHH!!!

As the 9800 GTX is also bottlenecked... I have bought.... Q7 2600 quad core system with 8 gig (upgradable ) and a decent GTX 680...

Bluddy Doom 4!! why do we bother...... My son said it would have been cheaper buying an XBOX one...

Last edited:
That is too bad.
A few years ago I had the opposite. My pc used a 486 processor and I upgraded to the Windows 97 operating system. Everybody said it would not run but it worked fine. I upgraded from dial-up internet to high speed cable and everybody said it is impossible but it worked fine for years. My success was because I upgraded the original 486 processor to the latest 486 processor that used a lot of the next generation Pentium circuits.

lol, yup, exactly why i stick to consoles for my games,
once in a while i will load a game to pc, but usually the lamer ones, ie master of orion2, or age of empires, which is TOO old for win7,
try "The Matrix" if you can, it was pretty cool, and is now 10yrs old, so it should work on newer systems easier

It takes upkeep to maintain your position in the PC Master Race.
This is definitely the forum I go to get my allotment of Bah Humbug old man posts.
Any reason why this is in General Electronics?

vkNzbpG.png

Audio!! The 486 was still used for quite a while in the Pentium's... At least up until Pentium 3

The i7 is a really good piece of work though... At work I have two quad core Xeon's @ 3.4Gig and they still seem slower than my laptop i7 3810QM...

It takes upkeep to maintain your position in the PC Master Race.
One of the reasons for the upgrade isn't just Doom 4.. My son has installed "world of warcraft" and even that now runs like treacle... Lowest resolution and fair textures... Haven't done that since tomb raider... Incidentally Tomb Raider runs like a charm.. Go figure...

I have xbox1, been thinking of getting Doom4, as I played the old PC version years ago. I have Wolfenstien on my Xbox and it was just okay. Typical shootem up game.

A bit of an update....

I7 third gen 2600 CPU.... 8 gig memory... 1Tb drive.... GTX680.... 650 modular PSU...

So £420 later my £15 game now runs.. This does seem to be overkill but this game is extremely good.. The system is a bit future proof... ooh, about a month, but it can handle all the newer games...

We got a ps3 as a cheaper way to play blu-rays, when both things were pretty new, and people bought me some games then. Never really got into it. Still haven't finished any. Oh no I tell a lie, I finished Conan and Ratchet & Clank! Got more interested in electronics after that so the other couple (Oblivion and that one that's red and white where you're a girl who runs a lot, can't think what it's called) are just gathering dust.

It's still going. The Lemmings will never stop...

I had an idea that Doom was going to be heavy on resources.
It seems like the hardware cant keep up with the games over the last two years.. Demand for resources on most games will go down once the xbox and ps4 become seriously dated.
Problem is, our lord and saviour John Carmack left id to work on the Oculus Rift during development. I can imagine the game suffered as a result. :nailbiting:

You should have mentioned the graphics card.. I have a GTX 570 literally gathering dust at home ;)

I have xbox1, been thinking of getting Doom4, as I played the old PC version years ago. I have Wolfenstien on my Xbox and it was just okay. Typical shootem up game.
My brother in law plays it on XBOX one... He likes it!

And the 9600GT! :p
Keep in mind the 9800GTX which was s**t hot at the time, is 8 years old, which is like a century in computer years!

That GTX750 you bought for one of your work computers (probably in Danny's PC) will out class the 9800..

I have xbox1, been thinking of getting Doom4, as I played the old PC version years ago.

I used to love the original DOS Doom - and I was pretty ace at it :D

I configured mouse and keyboard exactly how I wanted it, and could finish the entire game on the toughest setting.

I used to play with my daughter via our home network as well, that was pretty cool :p

You can get doom on the XBOX as well.... My daughter still loves it..

I have a copy of Zdoom and risen3d... Both work on windows 7 ( I'll have to try win 10 ).. All you need is the original wad files ( I have them all so if anyone needs some nostalgia.. PM and I'll let you have them ).

BTW... Each level on doom4 has a secret original doom level hidden somewhere!! Yeah I know! why bother... Just play the original!!

You can get doom on the XBOX as well.... My daughter still loves it..

I'm no where near as good with an Xbox controller as I was with mouse and keyboard :(

I have a copy of Zdoom and risen3d... Both work on windows 7 ( I'll have to try win 10 ).. All you need is the original wad files ( I have them all so if anyone needs some nostalgia.. PM and I'll let you have them ).

BTW... Each level on doom4 has a secret original doom level hidden somewhere!! Yeah I know! why bother... Just play the original!!

Hopefully it has uprated graphics?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back