Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I bought a useless infra red lamp from China.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Hoskins

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share a recent experience with an infra-red lamp I bought from China (got it through Ebay). I bought the item so that I could take down my 500W flood lamp which was irritating the neighbours. The new infra red lamp would be just the ticket, because it would illuminate my drive enough for the camera to pick out detail just fine.

I switched it on, and was pleased to see that it worked. I've got a SONY camcorder that does night-shot so I thought I'd spend a couple of minutes testing it out with that. 5 minutes or so later, I noticed an entire half of the lamp wasn't working. Then I smelled burning electronics. I took the thing apart, and you wouldn't believe it - 2 resistors (they look like 1/4 watts... maybe 1/2 watt at a push) running 140 Infra Red LEDs. Just how long did the designer of this lamp expect it to last?? Both resistors were charcoal. I'll have to make my own circuit for it now. No doubt the LED array will be the next to go, since they've wired chains of LEDs in parallel.

Brian

so did you have to use your own PS or did one come with it? did you overjuice it? I would think if ya put enough of them in a series you wouldn't even need a resistor with the right amount of juicey juice.

Are you calling me an amateur?

...ok I am an amateur. But no I didn't "over juice it". It requires a 12V D.C. PSU capable of supplying 1.5A. So I used my bench power supply. I understand that some will be connected in series, but these in turn must be connected in parallel to other groups of series LEDs. And they're driving all of this with 2 puny resistors. Something not quite right there I'm sure!!!

Brian

Besides, if they're driving them in groups of series LEDs connected in parallel with other groups of series LEDs, what happens when one LED goes faulty? That means the entire row of series LEDs go out, and so the current is then distributed amongst the remaining LEDs. One of those will feel the stress of that until it too burns out, taking with it another row of LEDs and the current is then redistributed amongst the rest. And so on and so on until the lamp doesn't work anymore.

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
I bought from China (got it through Ebay).

I can spot your mistake(s) right there - you bought from China (land of crooks and dodgy deals) and you bought from Ebay (also full of crooks and dodgy deals). Doubly bad!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I can spot your mistake(s) right there - you bought from China (land of crooks and dodgy deals) and you bought from Ebay (also full of crooks and dodgy deals). Doubly bad!.

doesn't that cancel out and make a good \o/

Make them in to 20 chains of 7 LEDs and run them from a 12V 500mA wallwart.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I agree, my brother bought an mp3 player from China via Ebay, worked for a month then broke.

Nigel Goodwin said:

A mistake I don't intend to make again I can assure you.

Brian

Well not so much that I guess. Really it's all about adhering to the famous saying, "If it sounds too good to be true... it is"

Brian

Brian Hoskins said:
Are you calling me an amateur?

...ok I am an amateur. But no I didn't "over juice it". It requires a 12V D.C. PSU capable of supplying 1.5A. So I used my bench power supply. I understand that some will be connected in series, but these in turn must be connected in parallel to other groups of series LEDs. And they're driving all of this with 2 puny resistors. Something not quite right there I'm sure!!!

Brian
soooo sorry i might have referenced you at all as a amateur, if you knew what you was doing then i presume you wouldn't need a thread on the subject. ;)

eblc1388 said:
Easier said than done.

Avoiding all things that come with the "Made in China" label? :D :D :D

Wouldn't help much anyway, there's a LOT of stuff actually made in China that's not labelled as such - for example Roberts Radios - because they fit the radio in the case in the UK it has a 'Made in the UK' label, but the radio part is just bought from China!.

What was the sellers feedback rating ?

You certainly have to give him a minus for that piece of junk he sold you.

I was a little unfortunate there. The lamp did initially work, so I left him positive feedback. Just minutes later it went faulty, but I had already left my feedback so unfortunately he got away with it!

Brian

eblc1388 said:
Easier said than done.

Avoiding all things that come with the "Made in China" label? :D :D :D

Take a look inside your PC and you'll likely have a card or two that were made in China... heck, maybe even the PSU or case!

Were these high-luminence LEDs ( about 5mm in diameter)? Generally they aren't power-hungry, so 12V at 1.5A is alot of electricity for LEDs, enough for almost 450 LEDs.

:D! There is no terroist here! I just want to know who make such kind bad lamps!Do not worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back