Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I am new to electronics, should i carry on with my hobby?(electronics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amando96

Ok so I went to england for new years, and discovered this shop, called maplins, i bought tons of stuff, and as soon as i got home(4th january) i built all the kits... they all worked, so wasnt really a challenge... But my problem is, i dont live in england, I live in portugal, in the middle of nowhere, Like there are no people in a 3 mile radius, and when there are people they are 90 yrs old.. -.- and there are no radio shacks... My mom doesnt have a credit card or paypal account (although i might have my friend nick one :p) because shes ''scared the cyber space ends'' oh well... so How can i get parts?
I have allready desmantled all my kiddy toys, RC cars(one had a 555 in it :D)
A printer... Lots of stuff, But i cant find this component i need very much, wich is 1N4006 Diode... I dont know wich are the equivalents, so if there are any please tell me...
So, Should i carry on with electronics?

Thanks

Ok so I went to england for new years, and discovered this shop, called maplins, i bought tons of stuff, and as soon as i got home(4th january) i built all the kits... they all worked, so wasnt really a challenge... But my problem is, i dont live in england, I live in portugal, in the middle of nowhere, Like there are no people in a 3 mile radius, and when there are people they are 90 yrs old.. -.- and there are no radio shacks... My mom doesnt have a credit card or paypal account (although i might have my friend nick one :p) because shes ''scared the cyber space ends'' oh well... so How can i get parts?
A printer... Lots of stuff, But i cant find this component i need very much, wich is 1N4006 Diode... I dont know wich are the equivalents, so if there are any please tell me...
Thanks
Welcome to ELECTRO-TECH-ONLINE
you can very well use 1N4007 that is generally stocked by any Radio & TV spares shop. You can use 1N4007 even in place of 1N4001 but not vice versa.

Regarding continuing Hobby.... it is your will and pleasure. there may be others who suffer similar problems in your age group. If you can lead them, they would also be benefited. Yes , the Hobby costs. I live in a state capital in southern India, with many facilities. Still, it took me 15 months to procure some IC like AD9851 of analog devices. Thanks to Analog Devices, for the samples I had. Otherwise-- should I continue--- with that project-- a query for me or for that purpose for any one.

Last edited:
All I am saying is, do what you must to persue(?) your hobby/loves.
Do whatever it takes, In SA we have enough suppliers, but they rip us off on everything.
I see 2n3771's in USA and UK costing 1/3 of what they are here at supplier cost, but whatever, I don't have a choice. :(
I would give my testicles to live in a secluded place like you.

Bokbaard, if you made that trade for the secluded place to live, you'd certainly end up looking like your avatar.

If a handy retail supplier was absolutely necessary for this hobby, none of us would be messing with it. I lived on a farm, had little money, no driver's license and still managed to have electronics as my hobby. Friends and relatives gave me all of their old "junk" which I scavenged for parts. No, when you do that, you don't get to play with modern, "cutting edge" circuitry, but you do get to learn electronics. You also learn how to disassemble things with minimal damage. I have a stock amounting to several thousands of parts, and most of those are used, taken from junked out equipment. When folks find out you'll take their old stuff, then pretty soon the "old stuff" begins to get better and better until you're being given unwanted computers, stereo systems, commercial electronics, etc. rather than just filthy, ancient, rusting hulks of televisions and clothes washers.

Dean

Quote Amando96: "But i cant find this component i need very much, wich is 1N4006 Diode... I dont know wich are the equivalents,"

It all depends on the Circuit Voltage?

A 1N4001 is rated at 50 Volts.
A 1N4002 is 100V
A 1N4003 is 200V
A 1N4004 is 400V
A 1N4005 is 600V
A 1N4006 is 800V
A 1N4007 is 1000V

So as long as your "Circuit voltage is Lower than the diode rating", you can use any one.

Quite often I state a 1N4005 in my circuits, But since most of them operate at 12 Volts, a 1N4001 would be perfectly OK.

I had the same problem when I was a kid living in Appalachia.

Don't be too quick to count out the old people living in your area. I discovered a few of them were into ham radio. One of them gave me an old scope, another was good for a trip to a local hamfest about once a year. They were helpful and always seemed glad someone took an interest in electronics. Ask around. Look for a house with a big crazy antenna on the roof.

It's not fast, but you can order things by mail. Digikey will take money orders (with some delays) and they are an excellent supplier.

Quote Amando96: "But i cant find this component i need very much, wich is 1N4006 Diode... I dont know wich are the equivalents,"

It all depends on the Circuit Voltage?

A 1N4001 is rated at 50 Volts.
A 1N4002 is 100V
A 1N4003 is 200V
A 1N4004 is 400V
A 1N4005 is 600V
A 1N4006 is 800V
A 1N4007 is 1000V

So as long as your "Circuit voltage is Lower than the diode rating", you can use any one.

Quite often I state a 1N4005 in my circuits, But since most of them operate at 12 Volts, a 1N4001 would be perfectly OK.

As long as it is cheap( in fact 1N4007 is cheapest, perhaps due to volume sales), We can very well use 1N4007. diodes like 4001 or 4002 are not that much stocked and thus prices would , I fear , be on high side.

As long as it is cheap( in fact 1N4007 is cheapest, perhaps due to volume sales), We can very well use 1N4007. diodes like 4001 or 4002 are not that much stocked and thus prices would , I fear , be on high side.

Just used the 1N4007 and it works fine... it's 12v circuit, Motion sensor, But kinda like a tilt switch to, super sensitive! i clap and the LED goes on...

Thanks

Hi Amando,

I'm assuming you got either the Velleman kits, the MUTR kits, or a mixture of both. Successfully building the kits and finding they work first time is a good start, since it shows you can follow instructions well and are capable of using a soldering iron.

If you enjoyed building the kits, then you probably do have an interest in electronics. That seems to be reinforced by the fact that you have been busy dismantling things, to get more components. This is something that probably most of the members on this forum have done, I'm still not adverse to stripping EVERYTHING off a scrap PCB. Soon enough, you'll have bags and boxes full of components that you will initially not know what is what, but as your knowledge increases you will find a use for them.

You have the advantage that a lot of the components you can salvage will be identifiable on the internet, allowing access to datasheet downloads & possible example circuits that a particular component is used in. Us older folk didn't have it that easy, but still stuck with it. (I'm not knocking you, BTW)

Anyway, getting back to the kits you bought from Maplin....once you've become bored with them as they are you can always strip them for components. By now, you should already have a selection of common value resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, potentiometers, switches, visible LED's, IR LED's, LDR's, battery holders, buzzers & probably some IC's - Timers, Op-Amps, etc.

If you are truly interested you will find circuits to understand/build, using what you have to hand. For those circuits where you are short of a few components - do a bit of online research and find likely products that they may be used in. You never know, you may actually have the component, waiting to be sorted from the last PCB you salvaged.....

No-one else on here can give you an answer, as to whether you should continue with electronics, other than yourself. If it is something you want to do, you will find a way to do it.

HTH.

SNIP*
that was the best reply so far.
i have visible LED's, battery holders, buzzers, 555. and bunch of resitors capacitors potenciometers and a variable capacitor(forgot the other name)
What are LDR's and OP-AMPS?
And the thing i apreciate the most, a breadboard :)

SNIP*
that was the best reply so far.
i have visible LED's, battery holders, buzzers, 555. and bunch of resitors capacitors potenciometers and a variable capacitor(forgot the other name)
What are LDR's and OP-AMPS?
And the thing i apreciate the most, a breadboard :)

LDR = light dependent resistor: Light Dependent Resistors

OP-amp = operational amplifier. This is a very important device for you to learn with. There is much information on the web to help you learn them and you can build so many circuits with them that would not be practical or affordable without op-amps. Get some, they are cheap and very useful.

Breadboards are very useful and can start with just a few dollars for the single ones: SOLDERLESS BREADBOARD, 400 CONTACTS | AllElectronics.com
You will then need to buy or build some basic DC power supplies. Converting a old PC power supply can make a very cost effective general purpose DC power supply for your bench.

It's a great hobby and if started early could lead you to a fruitful vocation. It doesn't have to cost that much money but of course a paypal account sure would be useful :rolleyes:

Being isolated was a handicap decades ago, but with the Internet and forums such as this one and others you should be able to get all the support and information you need. All you have to supply is the ambition to learn.

Good luck
Lefty

What can i i make that uses this IC? LM393P
And How can i sincronize two 555's? like when one emits one pulse the other emits two...
I wanted to make a LED chaser, But i havent got PIC's... So though maybe i could find a way with two 555's... i Have found a way but it takes me ages, to sincronize them the way i want...
so Any easy ways to do so?

I just used the LM393 (its a dual comparator) to do my temperature controlled fan.
Google for it, you'll find many many uses for d.comps.

And How can i sincronize two 555's? like when one emits one pulse the other emits two...
I wanted to make a LED chaser, But i havent got PIC's... So though maybe i could find a way with two 555's... i Have found a way but it takes me ages, to sincronize them the way i want...
for information on chips , you can get free downloads of data sheets at ::: ALLDATASHEET - Datasheet search site, Datasheet search site for Electronic Components and Semiconductors and other semiconductors.

you may perhaps google for 555 applications, and I am sure you will get plenty.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/01/EExercise2.pdf

Last edited:

This should help for the LM393:
**broken link removed**
and this should help for the 555:
555 timer

Google for whatever you are interested in, adding "circuit", "project" or "tutorial" as a second keyword. e.g. - 555 circuit, 555 project.............

Often, the links returned include other projects that may attract your interest and may actually list the parts that you have to hand.

I wanted to make a LED chaser, But i havent got PIC's... So though maybe i could find a way with two 555's...
Use a 4017 fed from the 555 like this:
**broken link removed**
You can eliminate the transistors and drive the LEDs directly but they won't be as bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back