Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hyperbolic Functions

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're related as follows: The reason you get nice relationships for cos(theta) = adj/hyp is due to pythagreon's theorem. a^2 + b^2 = c^2

take c = 1

a^2 + b^2 = 1, let a = sin x, b= cos x (from a definition below)

sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, so that leaves the sides of your triangle as the base cos(x) and the height sin(x) since your triangle can be inscribed in a circle. And in the image below, I've shown thats how they arise naturally. You can see how the rest falls out :).

Attachments

• hyper.jpg
    hyper.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 349
P.S. I had to do some digging for this. As I read this post I realized that no teacher in my history of highschool, college, or grad school has ever given a good definition of trigonomic functions to me. I had all the pieces but I needed to really think about how they all fit together. I understand now why they are periodic functions, and its all due to our friend Pythagoreous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back