Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hyper-terminal with windows xp and windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdg007

I am trying to connect two computer with different OS (windows xp and windows 7) using null modem cable connection with hyper-terminal.I have follwed the standard procedure but i couldnt able to send HELLO !!

pics for windows 7
View attachment 61569
View attachment 61570
View attachment 61571
View attachment 61572
View attachment 61573
View attachment 61574
View attachment 61575
View attachment 61576

pics for windows xp

View attachment 61577
View attachment 61578
View attachment 61579
View attachment 61580
rest is the same procedure.

any help would be great... thank you :)

Last edited:
If you have the 64 bit version of Windows, Hyperterminal won't run unless it's the paid version. There is a dll that needs to be present for Hyperterminal to work and I THINK it will work under the 32 bit version of Windows, not sure.

Drop back a bit. Take your connector and do a loopback. No flow control and just connect Tx and Rx at the connector. Get each end to work separately before connecting the machines together.

i am having both 32bit .. i just done a loopback check.. they are working fine.
-
i connected the same way... pin3 tx to pin 2 rx ... pin 2 rx to pin3 tx ...
-
the connection shows connected.but when i tried to send a file ,it doesnt receive,,timed out.
-
is there a proper procedure to send words ? i mean i want to type "HELLO" in one computer and want to see that in other computer

Did you connect SG or signal ground?

File sending has to rely on either hardware or software flow control. Software flow control is based on ^S for stop and ^Q for start.

Hardware flow control has been so messed up, it's hard to tell. It was supposed to be RTS and CTS. It was mangles so much it was a mix of DTR, DSR, CTS and DTS.

for now.. i have connected two computers.it is showing that the connection has been established. i am having trouble sending the data.

No, you don't need an internet connection, but make sure Hyperterminal works on the XP and the Win 7 side first. You just want one computer, hyperterminal and Tx connected to Rx. See if it echos.

Then do the same to the other computer.

For the two computer test:

Parity, # of start, #stop bits, Baud and # of data bits must match including handshaking and baud. The wrong characters received means your getting close.

If you want to see what your typing, you will have to enable half duplex or local echo.

Last edited:
i did enabled the echo .... hmm..maybe i sending the data wrong.. i typed "HELLO" in one computer but i couldn't see it on other computer...

I know you said you were using a null modem cable but are you 100% sure it is a null modem cable as in you have rung it out? With everything correctly set this should be working?

Ron

It looks like the D connectors can be wired as will. If tx is connected to Rx and a null modem cable is employed, then that negates the crossover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back